It finally happened...

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Went through two boxes of halves today, heavily marked throughout. When I find that many marks, I usually rip through them pretty fast, not expecting to find much. However, I recently picked up the Cherry Picker's Guide, so I was taking a bit closer look than normal. Sure enough, no silver, but towards the end of the second box, I find this:

DSC06068.JPG DSC06065.JPG

1982P no "FG", complete with another CRH'ers mark on the back. :laughing7:

Now then... anyone know how to remove marks?

Upvote 0

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grease filled die IMHO as there is no die polish marks and i can see part of the F in FG.....

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
... i can see part of the F in FG.....

IMHO, I doubt that. I've looked at this from every conceivable direction, under different light sources, and at 10x, 30x, and 60x magnification. It looks identical to similar 82P no "FG"s I've found, which I've had confirmed by various dealers.

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I do appreciate your input though, as admittedly I'm still honing my coin identification skills.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice; however, I think I see part of the "fg"as well. .. I think it has to be completely not visible to be classified as a "no fg" half dollar.
Thanks for sharing though!

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice; however, I think I see part of the "fg"as well. .. I think it has to be completely not visible to be classified as a "no fg" half dollar.
Thanks for sharing though!

You need to see die polish for it to be considered a no fg, no matter if its visible or not a TPG will only holder it as a no fg if the die polish is present...... Below is one i scored up recently on eBay notice the die polish which is not present in the OP's coin. Someone clearly over polished this coin most notably seen protruding from the arrows in the eagles claw notice how the lines are raised up off the coin which is clear evidence of die polish. The story goes a mint employee over polished the die trying to remove a severe die clash.......

attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always look for the no FG when I spot 82's but no luck yet.

Rubbing alcohol is good for getting rid of sharpie, I dont know if it will have any effect on a coin though.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread