Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
We have company this weekend, so no CRHing tomorrow. This is a killer for me as Friday and Saturday are pretty much the only days I can do any kind of volume. Today was supposed to be my half day at work...get off at noon. This morning I was informed that I would need to work until a little after 2pm. So 3:10 rolls around and I'm able to get out of work. Pick up two boxes and I go to dump $500 in Brinks clear wrapped dimes. I'm heading to the coin counter like I normally do when the teller calls me over and offer to take the dimes like they were. As she's going through the rolls the head teller comes up and the subordinate teller that's helping me asks her "Do you think taking this back is fine?" The head teller holds up two of my dime rolls and says "I don't know...This one looks shorter than this one. I don't think it looks right." I'm like, man, way to call out my integrity right to my face. The head teller says "Did you get these from here?" to which I responded "No, these are from Brinks. I think you guys are Garda, right?" Almost like, Hello! Garda has paper wrappers! The ones that you use every day! Then the subordinate teller says "Yeah, sorry, we're gonna have to have you run it through the coin machine." I say "That's fine.", just trying to keep things cool. Actually, I'm kinda mad about it though. It's like 445pm, and the bank closes at 5pm drive thru and all - and I know if I put a handful in at a time it should take about 20 minutes, but I also know if I put in all $500 it's going to take forever...<DUMP!!> So I dump them all in there at once and go sit down while the coin counter runs. I can tell when it gets to be about a quarter after that everyone is looking pretty unhappy with the coin guy holding them up from their weekend plans. The head teller is standing next to the coin counter watching every dime get counted...even taking my rejects and placing them back in the pot about every 5 minutes. So it finishes and the total is $492.30!!! Then I remembered this is that same coin counter I used last week and put 5 rolls of dimes in and the total came to $24.30! ARE YOU SERIOUS??? I started laughing out loud and say slowing "I know what this looks like, but this coin machine is seriously off..." She says real smug like "Oh, is that it?" I was SOOO mad inside. I thought about what this bank meant to me and how they were already a bit of a drive for me and I DID find a bank with coin counter that was like 10x's faster and much closer...so yeah. She closing down the coin machine with another guy. I say "So what happens when when you send this bag off to Garda and they find out that you gave them more dimes than you claim you did?" She says "Oh, I don't know. We never hear back from them." Then the guy pull out a handful of dimes from inside the machine. I was pretty happy to see them. "Well there you go!" Then he says "It's only this much..." It was like $1.50 or so...I'm just frustrated and I told her I didn't appreciate her calling out my integrity and I know that machine's jacked. But honestly, at the end of the day, she's going to feel like she was able to save her bank $7.70 from that punk coin collector by staying until 5:40pm. You try to do it right and stuff like this happens! I did find a couple Roosies today, so I guess it was worth it, right?

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been dumping in coin counters for a very long time now, maybe 8 years... I have gotten shorted so many times with my dimes that I just ignore the $5 shortages, i consider it the cost of the hobby... However, if the count is significantly off (by $10-20+), I will ask the tellers to send the bag out to be recounted. They do it no problem, all they need is my name, phone number and account number, and of course, the amount I was shorted. Within 2-3 weeks I have my money back deposited into my account.

I've been shorted:
$206.70 in dimes
$157.20 in dimes
$114.10 in dimes
$75.00 in dimes
and countless smaller miscounts below $50, I have been refunded all but one $25 miscount. Don't worry, work with the bank, sit down with the head teller and discuss the situation, I think you'll be fine.
HH

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
i was one time shorted 50$ from 250$ in dimes.

The lady gave me 200$ and said shed get everthing counted. A week later i got a deposit in my acct for 150$. :) seems like they short alot of people

OP
OP
Sleepy Holow

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't worry, work with the bank, sit down with the head teller and discuss the situation, I think you'll be fine.

I'll have to keep that in mind for the future. As for THIS head teller and I...well, I think we've said all we need to say. I'm putting this bank behind me. Plus, with four weeks left in the Big City, it's just easier this way.

jmb2email

Apr 14, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO 12" coil, DD 10" coil, 5.3 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was to her some people some people don't care.:BangHead: Money didn't come out of her pay. But when the big dogs see all the OT crap is going to hit the fan on her.:laughing7:

LOL, they will care once Obamacare takes full affect... can't have those employees over 29 hours each or they have to fork out $thousands$ extra for medical coverage.

Can't say I have had this much bad luck yet, but have had a few irritating tellers lately as I ramp up my buying/dumping. I can also say, like the others here, that I would have made them bust open the machine and count every penny of it. It would probably be the last time I was ever in that bank, but at the point you were at, what do you have to lose?

JMB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread