Always bring some empty coin bags - never know when they might come in handy

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 12 year old son and I stopped at two branches of my dump bank this morning with 3 ice cream pails of clad. One was straight dimes, so I ran that separately at the first branch. The other branch I'd never stopped at before, so I figured I'd dump both remaining buckets there since I don't have a reputation there yet (as long as my floating stalker teller wasn't there, which she wasn't).

The bank was pretty quiet and the tellers were very nice. Machine jammed big-time only about $30 in to my dump, and it took quite a while for them to fix it. Then a while later a bag filled, and the teller discovered that they were completely out of empty bags to replace it with. She sent a colleague to a nearby branch to pick up some more bags, but I knew that would be at least a 20 minute delay. Suddenly I remembered that we had brought 2 empty bags with us, in case we picked up any loose rolls. I said "I've actually got bags in the car", and sent my son out to get them. They ended up needing and using both of them. It definitely shaved some time off my transaction, and the tellers got a big kick out of the fact that I happened to have bags on me. All in all, it was a pretty positive and fun experience even if it did take a long time. Hopefully I bonded with these tellers and that may pay off sometime in the future.

Upvote 0

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
How did you get fresh bags? The 2 times I picked up CoinLoks from a bank the bank teller tore a tab off the top of each.

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These aren't CoinLok bags - just old-timey fabric bank bags. I've picked up a few here and there from my pickup banks when I haven't had anything to put loose rolls in to. These are the kinds of bags that all my banks use inside their coin machines, so it worked perfectly.

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice. All of my banks use CoinLoks. I haven't seen any of them use anything else.

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting how many regional differences there are in how banks handle coins. Here in southern WI, there seems to be no CoinLok bags, no customer-wrapped rolls (I don't think banks even accept them), no self-service coin machines (well, I've seen one), etc. Makes me curious to look for coins elsewhere in the country the next time I travel anywhere.

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Go for it! Just stay out of NJ. I have enough trouble with Tom and TimZim here. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread