ZINC ZINC and MORE OF IT

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on how many copper sorters are in your area, I used to average much more copper as well, I do nickels more than cents now, and I used to do far more cents than nickels too.

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the clad revolution my brother..

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Wait you were getting up to 50% copper in your boxes? Thats crazy. Last year I was getting around 20% per box but this year it is falling just a little bit. However, I don't search pennies very often.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I averaged 30-35% copper 2-3 years ago in my area. The last box I searched maybe 3 months ago had less than 10% copper. I don't think they are all getting pulled by crh's, I think the Feds. have a hand in it too.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the contrary. The last 3-4 boxes I have gotten have been dated within the last 3 weeks and have had close to - if not more than - 50% copper. I've actually gotten a record number of wheat's from one of those boxes and have had others produce near-record numbers of wheat's.

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Has anyone noticed as of late, that many rolls of ordered-cents, are disproportionally zinc. I used to get 35-50% copper out of a single box of cents, even a few months back from time to time. Now, It seems like not even 10% of them are copper. Anyone else getting zinced on the cents?

I average about 15-18% copper in my boxes...I have had a few super rare ones over the years that were closer to 80% but in the end it all averages out!

BenVA

Sep 16, 2003
SW VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's MXT, Tesoro Compadre and Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been averaging from 20-25% recently. I did have one box though that was pretty low on copper.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
ok, newbie question since I am out of the loop. What year did they switch from copper to zinc?? 1980's or sooner than that? I am curious and might get a couple of boxes and see what my percentage is.

Sincerely, GarouLady

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
ok, newbie question since I am out of the loop. What year did they switch from copper to zinc?? 1980's or sooner than that? I am curious and might get a couple of boxes and see what my percentage is.

Sincerely, GarouLady

There was transition year of 1982. Some are zinc and some are copper. After 82 all cents are zinc.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I average 27% consistently. If I start getting boxes with disproportionately low percentages of copper (and I do), I switch pick up banks. One in particular I stopped patronizing, for cents at least.

Bottom line - if your sources start drying up, go elsewhere. It's still out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions