diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thing you need to do is take them to a local CS and see what they offer you. Then decide whether you ​think it would be worth it or not.

OP
OP
hrnewsome

hrnewsome

Jun 19, 2013
Depends on what you have. What do you have?

Nickels, several 50-D, 38-D, buffaloes, an 1899 V

Dimes - about 30 mercs

Halves - 37 Barber, some WL's

If I don't find silver it's not because I'm not looking!

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other

Dimes - about 30 mercs

You can't trade in Mercs for Mercs or barbers for barbers lol!
I think I'm understanding something wrong. :.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Aren't mercs silver? and I would keep those halves and barbers. LCS don't give very much. I went to mine with my buffs and WNs and they only offered me 5 cents per buff and they were selling them for a dollar apiece and WNs they weren't buying but when I asked if they could hold the none-numatics ones for me, they said they would sell them to me for 2 bucks apiece. Robbery!! I'd rather keep them for that price or find a none-LCS buyer for them. I know jewelry makers buy buffs for necklaces and stuff. I have at least 8 morgans and I got them for about 8-10 dollars when I was a teenager. Now they are only worth part melt but I keep them for sentimental reasons.

Sincerely, GarouLady

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't trade in Mercs for Mercs or barbers for barbers lol!
I think I'm understanding something wrong. :.

That doesn't make sense to me either, unless they are worth more than melt

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have at least 8 morgans and I got them for about 8-10 dollars when I was a teenager. Now they are only worth part melt but I keep them for sentimental reasons.

Sincerely, GarouLady

Wait Garoulady Morgans are worth way more than melt- even culled ones can go for about 20-25 right now and decent shaped ones go for about 25-30- if you can get morgans for melt as long as they are legit better buy up a bunch

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some places will pay a premium for barbers and mercs therefore you could sell those and buy regular '64 silvers

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
If LCS gave you more than you can get on ebay...they'd be better off buying from eBay...

OP
OP
hrnewsome

hrnewsome

Jun 19, 2013
Sorry for the confusion. I'm not interested in collecting coins, only stacking silver. My LCS is thirty minutes away. If I make the trip I may sell my silver coins also that bring a premium so that I can buy some '64 halves or Washington quarters.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found a few collectible non-silver coins and was wondering if it's more profitable to list them on eBay or just take the whole lot to LCS and maybe trade for silver. Thoughts?

Dimes - about 30 mercs

You said "non-silver" coins.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He probably didn't mean non-silver, he meant coins that have a numismatic value above their metal value, regardless what kind of metal they are made of.

Assuming I'm correct, the advice above still applies...every LCS is different and you won't know unless you ask. That said, most LCS's are really just selling silver and maybe interested in graded coins. You probably won't have much luck trying to sell non-graded coins for a reasonable price. Unfortunately, feebay is your best bet. Also, most merc's and WLH don't really carry a premium. Matter of fact, when silver prices are high, you'll sometimes find stores/people selling WLH for a discount. WLH are typically worn and don't weigh as much (in quantity) as Kennedy's and Franklin's. Their metal value can exceed any added numismatic value.

OO

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread