1989-D Double Die?!?!

pennynoob

Jul 14, 2013
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a 1989-D penny that I think has double dies not just die deterioration. I'm just showing the liberty because that is where it is obvious. Do you think this is DDO?

image-3574559267.jpg

Upvote 0

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you might have something there. That does not look like machine doubling to me. I'd be curious to hear from some of the experts here. Nice find!

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I bet it's machine doubling, but I'd check with Lincoln cent resource forum. I'm sure someone on here will know though. Can you get pictures of the motto and date as well?

OP
OP
P

pennynoob

Jul 14, 2013
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Other
I bet it's machine doubling, but I'd check with Lincoln cent resource forum. I'm sure someone on here will know though. Can you get pictures of the motto and date as well?

I am fairly sure this is not machine doubling.
dd.JPG

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 2nd picture, the date does look like machine doubling. Machine doubling is flat and shelf like. Is that doubling on Lincoln's forehead and nose as well? Maybe a die crack going from the T in cents to lincoln's forehead. Some interesting doubling nonetheless.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It isn't a penny or a "doubled" die. The doctor is in! MD.

OP
OP
P

pennynoob

Jul 14, 2013
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Other
It definitely looks like MD to me.

Well it is worth anything? Also I just found a 1993 with what I thought was die deterioration doubling. When I search images it shows just a little step down for die deterioration. This cent has the zinc exposed like a shadow around numbers lettering and the face.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is worth 1 cent. The 93 sounds like simple split plating. Again, worth 1 cent.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did you list it and what was the description? Could you post a link?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You say it is doubling when it is MD. That's being deceptive. Would you want someone to rip you off? Sorry, but that's just wrong. You're the type of seller that gives coin collecting a bad rep. I suggest you pull the coin

OP
OP
P

pennynoob

Jul 14, 2013
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Other
Im not trying to be deceptive. I am trying to keep the titles short and i put accurate pictures...I can change it though.
You say it is doubling when it is MD. That's being deceptive. Would you want someone to rip you off? Sorry, but that's just wrong. You're the type of seller that gives coin collecting a bad rep. I suggest you pull the coin

OP
OP
P

pennynoob

Jul 14, 2013
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Other
I am really just a new chr and coin seller that has to learn...You know? I am not able to change the title but in the description i added that it is machine doubling.
Please do. Call it what it is. Machine doubling.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I understand being new, but please make sure you know what you have before selling. I and others on this forum should be able to answer most of your questions.

OP
OP
P

pennynoob

Jul 14, 2013
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you. I understand being new, but please make sure you know what you have before selling. I and others on this forum should be able to answer most of your questions.

Thank you for your understanding and posts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread