Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stinks man. I picked up 4 boxes today and luckily none of them were brand new! That's the largest amount of pennies I've ever picked up at one time. Should make for a few fun days with my grandpa!

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder if they are worth holding onto for a little while. doesn't it sometimes take a while for die varieties to get discovered? What if they find out there are dies varieties like the WAM or CAM for 2013, and you have 5,000 mint condition coins to try and hit a jack pot. I know it probably puts a deep dent into your hunting funds. It's just something to consider.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I wonder if they are worth holding onto for a little while. doesn't it sometimes take a while for die varieties to get discovered? What if they find out there are dies varieties like the WAM or CAM for 2013, and you have 5,000 mint condition coins to try and hit a jack pot. I know it probably puts a deep dent into your hunting funds. It's just something to consider.

Yes I have considered this. I have considered collecting a mint box of every year from here on out and I think I'm going to.

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other

I always think the same thing. But the (or my) big picture is that, unless you have the tons of money to buy coin-roll brick after brick for storage, most of us need to return the 'all shiny new cents' before leaving the bank.
After all, I need to recycle the unwanted coins after a search and use that to get one more brick.
Good luck,

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I certainly see both sides. Just like hoarding copper, keeping NIFCs, or even which denomination to search, there isn't one right answer for everyone. I just think about the times I have a 1998-2000 penny and I'm looking at it with my loupe and I end up saying "forget it, in this condition it won't be worth anything anyway". I kind of wonder the same thing about quarters. I don't buy boxes, but I do try and check for errors when I've saved up $10 worth. Anything newer than 2009 (i think) aren't in my "how to get rich with pocket change" book so I wonder whether I should hold onto them until I can get a newr version. For me, the answer is no unless they are pristine. I can sit on $5 for a little while.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions