Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I was in SF last month and found the same thing, no tours allowed. Too bad but it is a nice city to visit - though the homeless population has swelled since I visited it previously. I guess the decade of wars the US has been in has had an effect. Also many of them are elderly ladies which is quite disturbing. Previously when I visited it seemed they were mostly street punk kids and old hippies but where I stayed in the financial district it looked like they had emptied the mental institutions onto the street with many missing multiple limbs and obvious brain injuries. I tried a few banks to CRH but had no luck.

Maine_Jim

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
I was in SF last month and found the same thing, no tours allowed. Too bad but it is a nice city to visit - though the homeless population has swelled since I visited it previously. I guess the decade of wars the US has been in has had an effect. Also many of them are elderly ladies which is quite disturbing. Previously when I visited it seemed they were mostly street punk kids and old hippies but where I stayed in the financial district it looked like they had emptied the mental institutions onto the street with many missing multiple limbs and obvious brain injuries. I tried a few banks to CRH but had no luck.

Maine_Jim

Same here this. Also the new mint doesn't have a gift shop but it's cool to visit.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
44 Dimes! I was out in Napa Valley to inspect the coming years vintage and stayed a couple of days in SF and would definitely rec taking the red bus tours! Very informative and relatively inexpensive!! VERDE!!

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
No tours at the famed 'S' mint? Man, that's terrible. I toured the Denver mint in 2008. Hard ticket to get. Gotta show up early in the morning to guarantee yourself a spot at some point in the day. Thought it was really cool and they had a gift shop at the end, too. Now that I've been CRHing for a little while, it would probably mean a lot more.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No tours at the famed 'S' mint? Man, that's terrible. I toured the Denver mint in 2008. Hard ticket to get. Gotta show up early in the morning to guarantee yourself a spot at some point in the day. Thought it was really cool and they had a gift shop at the end, too. Now that I've been CRHing for a little while, it would probably mean a lot more.

That's too bad that you can't tour the SF mint. I had that one on my radar. I have been to the Philly & Denver tours - very cool! I was just at the old New Orleans mint the day before yesterday - they converted it into a jazz museum, but there's still a cool coin exhibit on the first floor with an old O mint coin press and some cool coins on display that were minted there. I was in Carson City a few years ago, but didn't have time to visit that one. It too is a NV State museum but has some cool mint stuff still. Here's a couple pics of the NO mint.

HH

Attachments

• image-1315805855.jpg
    image-1315805855.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 111
  • image-2022516937.jpg
    image-2022516937.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 126
  • image-2027240208.jpg
    image-2027240208.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 117
  • image-3719733251.jpg
    image-3719733251.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 117

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Baddbluff! Yea I'm right up the road from NO! Neat place to visit and lived there for several years!! Thanks for the Pics!! Wouldn't mind having those Goldies in my pocket!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
44 Dimes! Forgot to mention, if you have the opportunity, try to see The Rock/San Quinten Fed Prison!! Grusome place for Grusome people!! Now that will get your attention!! VERDE!!

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I did the bus tour and San Quenten. Worth the time but book the prison tour in advance and save yourself a lot of waiting in line. Great view of the city if the weather is ok.

Maine_Jim

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice Maine Jim!! Quite busy on The Rock at times! Did you find it very interesting? Must have been quite bizarre in light of clientele they entertained!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's quite a lousy display, especially of the hold eagle coins, though I would love to tour the NO mint :)
That's too bad that you can't tour the SF mint. I had that one on my radar. I have been to the Philly & Denver tours - very cool! I was just at the old New Orleans mint the day before yesterday - they converted it into a jazz museum, but there's still a cool coin exhibit on the first floor with an old O mint coin press and some cool coins on display that were minted there. I was in Carson City a few years ago, but didn't have time to visit that one. It too is a NV State museum but has some cool mint stuff still. Here's a couple pics of the NO mint.

HH

mr.landpirate

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't you mean Alcatraz, San Quentin is in use,that would be a tour you wouldn't forget.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When my dad was there, he just assumed the mint had tours. Tried to walk to gate but guards told him no..lol. You can try checking out the old mint. Building is cool.
http://www.theoldmint.org

Sometimes they have coin shows there.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Don't you mean Alcatraz, San Quentin is in use,that would be a tour you wouldn't forget.

Ha - you are right! Alcatraz. You think I would remember with all the souvenirs I had to buy for my son! They did have quite a bit of the island closed off when I was there but still worth the trip.

Maine_Jim

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for correcting me mr. landpirate!! Absolutely Alcatraz!! Spent too many days up in the Napa Valley sampling their Adult Beverages and getting too Old!! It was an impressive site!! LOL!! VERDE!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread