***Best Practice for Dumping Must Read***

Nydus Touch

Jan 9, 2013
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a word to the wise about how to not get shorted on your dumps.

Before your coins get put into the banks sorting machine: make certain you have a good idea of what your count is. Also: it is important to have an idea of how many bags you can expect to see the tellers change. At my bank, a bag of halves is 500$ and a bag of dimes is 500$. As your coins are being sorted make sure the amount of bag changes reconciles with your dump amount. For example, if you are dumping two boxes of halves and two boxes of dimes: you should expect to see the tellers change 3 bags. This obviously assumes that there are some coins in the bag before you get there, but that is a fair assumption.

I know it is not always possible to see the bag changes and some coin machines don't even have bags, but know your count!!

I was recently dumping and when all was said and done: the change total was a few hundred dollars short. I was able to narrow down what the issue was: because there weren't enough bag changes based on the amount of half dollars I knew I was dumping. What happened was: a bunch of half dollars got stuck in the change counter thus preventing them from being sorted.:BangHead: If you have a good relationship at your bank: you might also want to ask the teller to take it slow on counting your halves. Only counting one denomination at a time is also advisable.

Had I left without realizing what happened: I am confident my bank would have eventually made things right, but it would have been a hassle to say the least. Had I left money in their machine, they could have very easily pulled the "how do we know it is yours" card on me.

CRHing is all fun and games until you almost get shorted half a box of halves!

Moral of the story: know your count and know your tellers!

Upvote 0

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you, just about to start using machines to dump and this is great to know.

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
I dumped $1000 in dimes today (1 bag of dimes = $1000). Go to the teller with my ticket and she gives me a $100 bill. :icon_scratch: I was like "I think it's supposed to be a thousand..." The teller lady laughed and the customer service rep that changed out my bag asked what happened. The teller told her and the Customer Service Rep rolled her eyes at me...I guess I didn't get the most respected/competent teller in the joint today. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread