Started reading this thread - and went to the bank

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
But frugal as I am, I only got 6 rolls of pennies - lol!!! So I did get 2 wheaties and a bunch of 60's.
BUT... I see most people here get half dollars and silver dollars.

This may be a really silly question... but what do you do when you find a valuable coin - or 50 of them? Do you take them to a coin collector and sell them for their value (or actually less than the true value)? If you just kept them, that would turn into a very expensive hobby based on the amount of money those coins cost at face value?

I did have a blast going thru those rolls last night - but we were only talking pennies that went right back into my change bucket. Then I went thru my husbands saved change and I found 3 old coins, including an Indian head that he kept, but never told me about.
Thanks for replying!

Upvote 0

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stacylee926 said:
If you just kept them, that would turn into a very expensive hobby based on the amount of money those coins cost at face value?
I would call this the most inexpensive hobby ever. Where else can you spend 50 cents and have it be worth $1.97 or $4.81 (based on recent silver prices)

I think of it as putting my money in a CD that gives me an instant 960% interest payment. Besides it is a lot of exercise. (ever try to carry those $500 boxes of halves ;D)

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan on just stock piling them and give them to my grandchildren one day. Hopefully way down the road.....ha!

During the interim.....silver prices will continue to go up so they will become even more valuable years down the road.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread