Greenie
Mar 25, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP
Tesoro Cutlass
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well today I finally broke down and decided to get started on this adventure. Here in AZ it has been entirely too hot and humid to even attempt to go out and metal detect, and combine that with a ridiculous amount of boredom and a desire to make some money, I found a bank open on a Sunday of all days, and picked up $20 worth of coin.
I felt extremely awkward asking the teller for $20 worth of pennies and quarters, and she even asked "Are you serious?", when I asked for $10 of it in pennies (the $10 in quarters was mainly for laundry, but also to check for silver). After succeeding in leaving the bank with the coinage I hurried home feeling oddly guilty, hunkered down at my computer desk, and broke open my first roll.
As of right now I really am not too sure what I'm looking for. I know what a wheat penny looks like obviously, and only managed to nab two of them out of the 20 rolls. I found one 83 Canadian penny, which I discovered must be mostly copper after performing the flip trick. Kept an eye out for errors, but only managed to find one blatantly obvious error which was a 2005 cent with only half of the 5 and D mint mark visible. Hopefully that is worth something. Found plenty of slightly off-center coppers. I set all of the other coppers aside as well. Must have found about a roll and a half of coppers. I have also decided to set aside all 1983 regardless of whether they pass the flip test or not, since I have read that there have been a couple 83 coppers found that are quite valuable, as well as the possibility for a DD. I will re-check these when I get a scale. Others that I always check are 82s for coppers content, 92s for AM proximity, 95s for DD, 72 DD, 69-S DD, and on the last couple rolls started looking for 90s without a mint mark.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on my penny roll hunting. I'm not sure I understand the whole pick-up and drop-off bank thing either. Please let me know how I can get better at this hobby. I love it!

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well today I finally broke down and decided to get started on this adventure. Here in AZ it has been entirely too hot and humid to even attempt to go out and metal detect, and combine that with a ridiculous amount of boredom and a desire to make some money, I found a bank open on a Sunday of all days, and picked up $20 worth of coin.
I felt extremely awkward asking the teller for $20 worth of pennies and quarters, and she even asked "Are you serious?", when I asked for $10 of it in pennies (the $10 in quarters was mainly for laundry, but also to check for silver). After succeeding in leaving the bank with the coinage I hurried home feeling oddly guilty, hunkered down at my computer desk, and broke open my first roll.
As of right now I really am not too sure what I'm looking for. I know what a wheat penny looks like obviously, and only managed to nab two of them out of the 20 rolls. I found one 83 Canadian penny, which I discovered must be mostly copper after performing the flip trick. Kept an eye out for errors, but only managed to find one blatantly obvious error which was a 2005 cent with only half of the 5 and D mint mark visible. Hopefully that is worth something. Found plenty of slightly off-center coppers. I set all of the other coppers aside as well. Must have found about a roll and a half of coppers. I have also decided to set aside all 1983 regardless of whether they pass the flip test or not, since I have read that there have been a couple 83 coppers found that are quite valuable, as well as the possibility for a DD. I will re-check these when I get a scale. Others that I always check are 82s for coppers content, 92s for AM proximity, 95s for DD, 72 DD, 69-S DD, and on the last couple rolls started looking for 90s without a mint mark.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on my penny roll hunting. I'm not sure I understand the whole pick-up and drop-off bank thing either. Please let me know how I can get better at this hobby. I love it!

1. If you feel awkward about asking for coin rolls, you might want to rethink this hobby.

2. The last time a teller asked me if I was serious I looked him in the eye and said "Well, I'm certainly not joking". Ever since then he has been more than polite to me when I visit his bank.

3. The most important thing is to build relationships with your bank's tellers. Start small and work your way up to larger pick-ups.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It gets less weird as you do it more. Don't worry man.

Try the half dollars!

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mentioned making money- believe me CRHing is not the way to make money- if youre n it to try & make money just stop now and go find a pt job or somthing-
If youre in it as a hobby to either collect or stack welcome-
HH

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread