Teller said I was wrong; I decided to prove I wasnt

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Teller said I was wrong; I decided to prove I wasn't

I went into one of my local branches to cash a check. I know most of the tellers there and I got Jim. Jim is a pretty cool guy and one of the best tellers I've dealt with; he can easily do 2-3 transactions in the amount of time most can do just 1.
I hand him my check to cash($1000) and 900 in 20's to change up. He then counts me 20 bills. I inform him that he gave me too much, but Jim says " No, the check was 1000 and 1000 in 20's. I've been a teller for 8 years and have never been short or miscounted." I tell him that I'm not letting him break his streak so shut it down and do a balance. People behind me started griping and saying I should just keep it but I know it would come back around to bite me. After about 10 min of counting he hits the total button and his jaw almost hits the floor. Before he could speak I simply said "you're Welcome"
I don't know if he would have to pay the shortage out of pocket but it wouldn't have been right to keep it. Hopefully AG Gods will shine on the boxes I'm headed to pickup, LOL!

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have done the same thing, I believe in Karma, what comes around goes around... Well done my friend!
HH
Buff
:occasion14:

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honesty is always the best policy

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did good....being a thief isnt worth the 20 bucks...espically when its someone you know well, and is YOUR own bank...I mean I would hate to think my bank was stealin from me.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a woman turn in 25 dollars worth of bottle deposit slips to our customer service desk. Well 3 days later she came in and wondered if anyone had claimed them. When told no she came through my line and started to chew me out, saying that WE wanted the customer to be honest, that WE wanted them to turn stuff in that they found. I told her after a while I thought that we just throw them away. I wasn't totally sure so I called my boss over just to double check. The woman starts chewing her out about how WE expect customers to be honest and turn stuff in. That SHE could have kept the bottles and no one would know. So my boss took her name and number down to placate her. From the tone in her voice she sounded like she was trying to convince herself that she should have kept the tickets. Sorry folks, grocery stores and those, like me, don't expect or tell people to be honest. Honesty is taught or not taught by your parents and friends, not by some grocery store. It just annoyed the heck out of me that she expected us to give her the bottle slips after just 3 days. I mean if I got to keep all the money I found at the grocery store as a cashier there, I would easily have 3-4 thousand dollars after 17 years. But I am honest and I know that the almighty karma will grace me with good luck.

Sincerely, Garoulady

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about karma but I know that the Lord blesses those who do the right thing. Good job OP. :cat:

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I tell ya If I wasn't so honest I could make more off teller mistakes than I could of CRH

jdmb

Jul 12, 2013
GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about karma but I know that the Lord blesses those who do the right thing. Good job OP. :cat:

Agree.

Last Friday I asked for $100 in dimes at one bank and the poor girl dumped six trays of rolls into my bag. I said ma'am I'm sorry but I think that's not right. She was shocked she messed it up that big but straightened it out and thanked me for mentioning it.

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
It'll come back around- good on ya BRChiver.

Bout a week ago I cashed a coin machine ticket for $996 and added a ten dollar bill- so the teller could give me $1000 large and 6. After she bought a bundle from the vault, traded me a silver rosie for a clad rosie, and tallied my pile- I walked off. As I rounded a corner I looked at my handfull and it seemed a little large! Turned back around and asked her how much she gave me- She said $1006... I asked If she took anything out of my checking acct? Relpied no. So I handed the stack back to her to recount. Se counted out 10 bigs, paused, then 10 more bigs... She had handed me the whole 2K bundle...
No reason not to be a nice guy... However, when I got back to work- I bought a coke from the machine and it dropped 3 all at once. Yeah that was a good return on invested karma, sure, but I kinda look at it like Karma still owes me about 997.50!
PEACE

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did good....being a thief isnt worth the 20 bucks...espically when its someone you know well, and is YOUR own bank...I mean I would hate to think my bank was stealin from me.

hehehe you cant count either huh? LOL it was $100 difference not $20 /bonk

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
We expect the banks to be honest. Repaying them in kind is not only good for the soul but also good for OUR reputation. Face it folks, who's more likely to get cut off first: the guy who is a royal pain to deal with, or the low-key and always honest customer who doesn't make a scene just because the vault teller forgot to place their order one time?

Rascal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread