What would you think?

Silver Chronicles

Nov 3, 2012
Midwest
Detector(s) used
M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got to thinking about which denomination has the most silver coins still in circulation. Of course everybody would think half dollars, but I tend to think it would be dimes. I know half dollars are easier to find, but their were far less minted over the last 50 years, so I would bet a pretty penny that that is why they are easier to find. If the same amount of dimes had been minted over the last 50 years as half dollars, I am sure dimes would come out ahead. What do you all think?

HH Michael

Upvote 0

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bet my heirs find it profitable! I can hear them now, "Oh, Lookie here, what I found!"
They'll learn the "cling-cling" tone real quick.
My dad just turned 80 in June. He is stashing cash, silver, funny notes throughout his place. I said, " Dad we're not gonna want to go on a Easter egg hunt!"
Gas here $3.17. Last week $3.37.
HH Ray

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got to thinking about which denomination has the most silver coins still in circulation. Of course everybody would think half dollars, but I tend to think it would be dimes. I know half dollars are easier to find, but their were far less minted over the last 50 years, so I would bet a pretty penny that that is why they are easier to find. If the same amount of dimes had been minted over the last 50 years as half dollars, I am sure dimes would come out ahead. What do you all think?

HH Michael
Aren't dimes about 1/5 the weight of halves? Its hard to think hunters get 5 or more dimes to 1 half, on their finds.
I think halves are easier and quicker. But Rosies are cooler than 40's! Lol
Ray

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dimes suck there way to small and the counters rip you off. If I would have to guess I think my avg. is 1.5 silvers per box?? on the halfs. If your in a good area you can make a lot of money I found 922oz last year.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Dimes suck there way to small and the counters rip you off. If I would have to guess I think my avg. is 1.5 silvers per box?? on the halfs. If your in a good area you can make a lot of money I found 922oz last year.
If my average on halves is 1.5 per $500 box, (it isn't, it's much less), and my average on dimes is 3.5 dimes or 1 per $150, I'm coming out ahead on the dimes, and what's great is they are all 90%. Their size isn't a bother to me, and I never get ripped on the dump. My method won't work for everyone.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dimes produce. halfs, well i am on a 3 box skunk streak and yes when you find them they have more silver, however i have found more dimes than halfs.

Golden Eagle

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dimes seem to work out better for me, but my top 2 faves are definitely halves and dimes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions