Taking a hit

jdmb

Jul 12, 2013
GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Up until today I've rerolled my coins and gotten back from tellers the exact amount I was due. Last week I found a CU with a no fee coin machine so I just gave it a try. I didnt count exactly what I dumped (my mistake) but I had a guess. I was given a little less than I thought I had in there. I'm going to try the machine one more time and count out exactly what I'm dumping. If I'm losing money on this then What's the point? I willl re roll them all! Haha

So how much is your coin machine takin you for that you are willfully tolerating? Personally I don't care to lose anything.

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends if you are doing small amoun ts or large amounts of dumps-
Theres no way im counting out $1000 worth of dimes to know thats exactly how much was in the boxes I received to then dump them- its part of the hobby- I just took a $5 hit on $1000 halves- which is by far the largest ive taken on halves- but whos to say that that entire $5 was due to the machine? Maybe a couple of rolls where short in the boxes? I know for a fact several rolls of dimes ive gotten from boxes where short-1 roll was short 8 dimes- it looked so funny up next to a normal roll- if you dont like the occasional loss then by all means re-roll
For me the time I save by using a machine far out ways the time I used to re-roll

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Count them once then pour all that youve counted into something so you can estimate all of your other dumps by the look.

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
My dump bank's coin machine counted pennies as dollars and halves one day. I brought it to their attention, they said there was nothing they could do, the machine count is correct. They credited my account with an extra $163.

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
My coin machines Wickid accurate. Never messes up and when it does it counts a penny as a nickel. ;-) score!
I've been shorted on bags. Get a nickel bag and it has maybe 4 or 5 pennies but nothing horrible.
Wicka

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
The OCD in me means I count every coin as I'm searching - the halves, at least - so I know exactly how much is in the machine I'm dumping into. IMO a $5 miscount out of $1,000 is too much, provided you know in advance exactly how much you started with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread