Well, thats one way to dump halves

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
in the desc it says he ordered the box from the "fed"

PEOPLE GET THIS RIGHT THEY DONT ORDER IT FROM THE FED THEY GET IT FROM TEH COURIERS!!!!! it annoys me sooo much!!!!!!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
"Because this offer involves no Ebay and Paypal percentages, and no shipping charge, it is the cheapest price you will find."

Well I can get them for face from many banks.

Kaekue

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PEOPLE GET THIS RIGHT THEY DONT ORDER IT FROM THE FED THEY GET IT FROM TEH COURIERS!!!!! it annoys me sooo much!!!!!!

The banks in my area all tell me that they send the coins bags from the machine to the fed. I have watched them fill out the shipping form on the bags for the couriers to pick up and it says To: FED. I have asked multiple bank managers and the assistant vice president of a local chain of banks in my area and they have all said that the coins go to the fed and the coins come from the fed. All of my boxes that I receive have FED written on them. I have been told by all of the bank managers that these couriers are.. well couriers. Meaning they deliver these boxes from one point to another and they are paid for that. I am not sure if these couriers get bags of coins from the fed and roll and box the coins for them, but they must go to and come from the fed. When the banks in my area order coins they do not order them from the courier websites, they order them from the fed website. Now, it is possible that every single bank manager in my area is misinformed, but I highly doubt that.

Where exactly did you get this information that they "come from the courier". Where does the courier get these coins? At some point they had to come from the fed no? Or does the courier sell and buy coins from all of the banks? When new coins are released every year do these couriers make them? No, they must come from the fed. According to the feds website: Federal (FED) "Reserve Banks distribute new and circulated coin to depository institutions to meet the public's demand, and take as deposits coin that exceeds the public's needs."

The same thing happens with notes. "The 12 regional Federal Reserve Banks, through their network of Districts and branches throughout the country, distribute Federal Reserve notes to the public through depository institutions. Reserve Banks process notes on high-speed sorting machines that check to ensure that they are genuine and fit for recirculation. If the notes are not genuine, Reserve Banks forward them to the local U.S. Secret Service office. If they are genuine and still in good condition, the notes are sent to depository institutions to fill new orders for currency. An individual note continues moving through this cycle until it is deemed unfit, or too worn, to be kept in circulation. Unfit notes are destroyed on-site at Reserve Banks in order to maintain the quality of currency in circulation."

Now it is a common theme here that these coins come from specific couriers and you should not dump and pick up from the same courier, but it sounds like no matter what you are dumping and getting coins from the same regional federal reserve bank unless you dump in a different region. Is this not what Timzim was trying to accomplish when he dumped in AC?

Some more Q&As that support these statements that the coins go to and come from the "fed"

Q: Where can I get new uncirculated coins?
A: Neither the Federal Reserve Banks nor the U.S. Mint provide coins directly to the public for circulation purposes. Instead, coins are placed into circulation through depository institutions (e.g. banks, savings & loans, credit unions, thrifts). The Reserve Banks issue circulated coins before new coins. You may need to contact several banks about supplies of new coins. The U.S. Mint sells certain commemorative and collectible coins and coin sets to the public through their website at The United States Mint (Off-site Link)

Q: Where can I get $2 bills?
A: Local banks should have $2 bills. If your bank does not have any current inventory, it can order $2 bills from the Federal Reserve Bank.

This Q&A proves that the banks are able to order directly from the FED. If they are able to order $2 bills, why not half dollars?

If you are going to keep saying on here that they "go to and come from the "couriers", please provide some evidence instead of just stating your opinion as though it is fact. Also, if this is the case, please do not use the term "couriers" because a courier is : A messenger who transports goods or documents, in particular.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulling up a chair

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting thread.

Question, what is the value of circulated 1964, Kennedy Halves? Thanks!

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting thread.

Question, what is the value of circulated 1964, Kennedy Halves? Thanks!

Current melt value is $7.84. Coinflation.com is a good website to check melt value.

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh mannnn. This dude is right in my backyard. Maybe I'll email him and ask how much for wooden tray or other stuff in the background.

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Nah, I'm just going to nag him on how to order boxes so I can start my own collection, because I heard that 1964 through 1987 are 60% silver.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm not trying to start an arguement or anything but I believe your statement is incorrect. My understanding is the bank orders it from the fed, via the courier. They get it from the bank and it's delivered by the courier. Business is ultimately done between the bank and the fed. The courier is contracted as a means of warehousing and transportation. It is true that most coin goes from one bank to the courier back to another bank. That doesn't mean it's incorrect to say coin is ordered from the Fed.

OO

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not trying to start an arguement or anything but I believe your statement is incorrect. My understanding is the bank orders it from the fed, via the courier. They get it from the bank and it's delivered by the courier. Business is ultimately done between the bank and the fed. The courier is contracted as a means of warehousing and transportation. It is true that most coin goes from one bank to the courier back to another bank. That doesn't mean it's incorrect to say coin is ordered from the Fed.

OO

Those solid boxes of coins (either 2013 for regular change and 2001 for halves) do indeed come from the Fed. Since no halves were minted from 2002 to present for circulation, the stockpiles of halves are of previous dates. When a courier has low supply, it orders from the Fed. Otherwise, they just recirculate the coins that go to the facility.

Last edited:

sjlund

Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the only place coin comes from is "The Fed", why do we continuously have threads saying Brinks culls silver? How would that be possible? Clearly Brinks sorts, counts, wraps, and delivers coin.

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There was I guy on Craigslist that was asking $3 apiece for clad halves, but he was saying they were silver. I contacted him and told him they were not, and he got mad at me and said he new that already and that he was just trying to get some unknowledgeable person to buy them. Some people are just low. I hope nobody bought them from him.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People demand all sort of outrageous prices on Craigslist, but I guess it's not that outrageous if someone pays (but saying something is silver if it is not is outright fraud).

On the Fed bit, the only coins I order are halves, and they clearly come wrapped and boxed by the courier the bank uses (Dunbar, Brinks, Loomis, etc).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread