Halves = skunk for me.

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Dues, AT Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, I don't get it. I read all the success stories but to date I've found zero silver in boxed halves. I keep at it, but so far nothing. Granted, I'm not doing a huge volume but 10 boxes in, scattered over 4 months and nothing. Anybody have tips (aside from the obvious of buy more), favorite bank names, unproductive banks...like mine.

Upvote 0

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes those "success stories" are few and far between. You're kind of seeing the highlights

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I did 7 boxes of halves las
t week, and no silver. However, the 7 boxes I did the week before had 14 silvers. It's a numbers game; sometimes you hit and sometimes you lose. 10 boxes really isn't a large enough sample size. I will say that you need to be comfortable with the notion that you may go weeks without finding silver, and sill have to dump repeatedly. No fun, but it's part of the game.

Good luck!

OP
OP
boss driver

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did 7 boxes of halves last week, and no silver. However, the 7 boxes I did the week before had 14 silvers. It's a numbers game; sometimes you hit and sometimes you lose. 10 boxes really isn't a large enough sample size. I will say that you need to be comfortable with the notion that you may go weeks without finding silver, and sill have to dump repeatedly. No fun, but it's part of the game.

Good luck!

And the game will continue! Question about dumping; anybody been told by a bank they wouldn't accept any more halves? I'm curios how folks are able to keep dumping so many half dollar coins. I've been dumping them at one bank with a coin machine but don't want to get "shut off" at some point.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I don't get it. I read all the success stories but to date I've found zero silver in boxed halves. I keep at it, but so far nothing. Granted, I'm not doing a huge volume but 10 boxes in, scattered over 4 months and nothing. Anybody have tips (aside from the obvious of buy more), favorite bank names, unproductive banks...like mine.

10 boxes? Really? Youre crying over 10 boxes? Try 20, 30, 50 or what about 77 boxes without any AG- thats my current skunk streak- either get used to not finding much but enjoying the hobby or just quit while you ahead (time&gas wise)

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
boss driver

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
10 boxes? Really? Youre crying over 10 boxes? Try 20, 30, 50 or what about 77 boxes without any AG- thats my current skunk streak- either get used to not finding much but enjoying the hobby or just quit while you ahead (time&gas wise)

Thanks for the advice. Don't think I'm the one crying though.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry if I was a bit harsh there- honestly I think thats whats wrong with this site and the youtube vids about CRHing- all the glitz and glamore, if you will, mainly only show the big finds and dont show the struggles- thats why im making it a point to continue to post my streak- (which I hope to all things good ends tomorrow with my 6 boxes) but way too many people, my self included, watch the vids or see the pics and read the posts and think alright im going to be rich with all the silver thats out there- so many factors come in play here- I think mainly its your location in the country-
Anyways again sorry for coming across a bit harsh and hope you can hit some AG sooner rather than later
HH

OP
OP
boss driver

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry if I was a bit harsh there- honestly I think thats whats wrong with this site and the youtube vids about CRHing- all the glitz and glamore, if you will, mainly only show the big finds and dont show the struggles- thats why im making it a point to continue to post my streak- (which I hope to all things good ends tomorrow with my 6 boxes) but way too many people, my self included, watch the vids or see the pics and read the posts and think alright im going to be rich with all the silver thats out there- so many factors come in play here- I think mainly its your location in the country-
Anyways again sorry for coming across a bit harsh and hope you can hit some AG sooner rather than later
HH

Thanks, I'm hoping the same. Ready to start stacking!

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
And the game will continue! Question about dumping; anybody been told by a bank they wouldn't accept any more halves? I'm curios how folks are able to keep dumping so many half dollar coins. I've been dumping them at one bank with a coin machine but don't want to get "shut off" at some point.

Find other branches of that bank with coin machines, or open some more accounts. Even if it means you have to re-roll some to dump it, it's worth it to not wear out your welcome and get cut off. If you read some of the older posts on this forum, you'll find plenty of threads where CRH'ers have gotten cut off, either by their own hand, or by the actions of others. Spread out your dumps, it's worth it in the long haul.

Shay's here

May 1, 2013
California
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think you are crying about it at all. I had the same thoughts when I started, went through a few thousand and thought there must not be any silver left in this area and wondered why I was wasting my time until I hit a streak of silver, wasn't enormous, probably 5 40's and a couple of 90's but the bug bit me. Its a time investment as well as a hobby and you will find silver if you are in it for the long haul rather than the quick find.

Regarding the dumps, I deposit at Chase and they allow me to deposit Coinlock bags of coins. The upside is I can dump a lot at one time, the bad side is that I am at their mercy sending it out to be counted and the numbers never quite match what I think I am depositing. I hear its pretty much the same thing with coin counting machines though so you are screwed either way!

Good luck!!

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boss, I do three boxes per week and most are skunks. I've had a few good boxes which keeps me going but I do better with cwr and teller trays. Got 9 last week. I lost track of my skunk boxes but I think I'm at 15 or 18 in a row. Picking up today but not expecting much. But you never know. HH

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you found out about crh on YouTube just remember, people aren't posting their skunk boxes only the good ones... also I don't know how much I can trust people opening solid rolls of cwr on YouTube either because there can be silver's planted in there easily.
Good luck,
BuffaloBoy

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think you are crying about it at all. I had the same thoughts when I started, went through a few thousand and thought there must not be any silver left in this area and wondered why I was wasting my time until I hit a streak of silver, wasn't enormous, probably 5 40's and a couple of 90's but the bug bit me. Its a time investment as well as a hobby and you will find silver if you are in it for the long haul rather than the quick find.

Regarding the dumps, I deposit at Chase and they allow me to deposit Coinlock bags of coins. The upside is I can dump a lot at one time, the bad side is that I am at their mercy sending it out to be counted and the numbers never quite match what I think I am depositing. I hear its pretty much the same thing with coin counting machines though so you are screwed either way!

Good luck!!

Coin lock bags are the way to go if you can. A good time to ask is when you are dumping about $500 or more of rolled coin. You need to talk to the head teller (coin vault teller) about this. It is easier for the tellers for you to bring in bags because often times when they get rolled coin they just bag it themselves and ship it out. My dump bank let's me trade bags for cash with the understanding that if there is a discrepancy, they can adjust my account accordingly. I have a good system to insure my count is correct and there has never been a problem. Sometimes the mwr can be off but I catch this. If you just dump 50 rolls in a bag the count could be off. My tellers only want $500 in the bag for easy lifting.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boss, I do three boxes per week and most are skunks. I've had a few good boxes which keeps me going but I do better with cwr and teller trays. Got 9 last week. I lost track of my skunk boxes but I think I'm at 15 or 18 in a row. Picking up today but not expecting much. But you never know. HH

Update: skunk streak over

OP
OP
boss driver

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all. Actually learned about it here. Joined after getting my detector in Guam (whole separate adventure there). It's all about the hunt...

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I only use Independent Bank. Tellers there always let me know when a big order of silver will be arriving!

OP
OP
boss driver

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Skunk is over. Hit some nice CWR today. Posted pics in another thread. Guess I'm really hooked now!

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If that happens find another dump bank. Some hand roll them back up and dump them that way. HH cooper

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread