Just picked up a dump.................a proof and silver dump!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul.

I got 2 Franklins from boxes this week that looked chrome plated or something (I didn't even know there were Franklin proofs). A 1959 and a 1963 that, after reading this thread, have now been separated from the junk stack. Learn something new every day.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!

I haven't found a 1955 Frankie yet. That's the only one I miss. Love to find silver proofs but never found a Cameo Frankie.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Nice haul.

I got 2 Franklins from boxes this week that looked chrome plated or something (I didn't even know there were Franklin proofs). A 1959 and a 1963 that, after reading this thread, have now been separated from the junk stack. Learn something new every day.

Nick, Franklin proofs will come from Philly (no mintmark). The usual look of a proof with the Cameo frosted devices and mirrored field is the exception when it comes to early proofs. When they are encountered on the secondary market, you can expect to see hundreds paid.

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick, Franklin proofs will come from Philly (no mintmark). The usual look of a proof with the Cameo frosted devices and mirrored field is the exception when it comes to early proofs. When they are encountered on the secondary market, you can expect to see hundreds paid.

So If I sell these, what are they worth?

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OM(picks jaw up from floor)F'ing G! Good job Joe! That's a score to remember.

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all due respect to the OP, if he feels I am hijacking his thread i will delete, but I wanted to get Diver's opinion without clogging up the boards with a new thread.

The 1963 is just as shiny, but caught less of the room lighting when I took the picture. Both have very thick, full reeded rims.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Nick - Both of yours are proof. There probably isn't any numismatic premium being impaired. The '63 Franklin is very common even with a proof strike. I bought '63 Franklins in original mint cello/envelopes for melt only a couple of years ago. If the original mint packaged Franklin half dollars can be bought for melt, I doubt an impaired '63 proof will earn any additional premium. Still not something that I would toss into the junk silver pile.

Joe - The cameo Franklin half dollars that earn the moon money are flawless. I blew up your picture and you have at least one so congratulations. The other two that I suspected might be flash/lighting effects, but I still think they are borderline cameo. Being impaired will greatly effect the value, but knowing how rare they are and the demand for them, I wouldn't being tossing it in the junk pile. More than likely, you'll never realize the high dollar due to being impaired. If it was mine, I wouldn't sell it as they truly are a rarity.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Good job. That's an awesome score. Did they make silver business strike and silver proofs on the bicentennials? I didn't know that. I found my first 1976 silver yesterday and it was an S mint mark, but it definitely didn't look like a cameo. I just figured the silver was tarnished.

Here's a visual aid for you fish on!

View attachment 847453

Great finds Joe!

-DS

P.S. It's a damn shame that those proofs have all been circulated and scratched. :(

I'd still pay over melt for those though (I want to make a set of proof and circulation Franklins before I die, lol!)

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick - Both of yours are proof. There probably isn't any numismatic premium being impaired. The '63 Franklin is very common even with a proof strike. I bought '63 Franklins in original mint cello/envelopes for melt only a couple of years ago. If the original mint packaged Franklin half dollars can be bought for melt, I doubt an impaired '63 proof will earn any additional premium. Still not something that I would toss into the junk silver pile.

Thanks a lot Ken, I appreciate it.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a silver dump once, someone thought it would be funny to hide an silver dime in cake (I'm not joking). I didn't retrieve it.... its still out there..... somewhere.

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the 65-67 SMS have the S mint mark, correct?

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
the 65-67 SMS have the S mint mark, correct?

No S, but there are some characteristics that separate them from the circulation ones (I think, but I'm not 100%). Diver_Down or someone more well versed than I will have to chime in.

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20130818_225609.jpg

Are these SMS?

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

I don't want to tell you something and be dead wrong about it, so I will wait and see if DD or another expert numismatist tell you something about them, I was just curious. It seems to me that if you found all of those coins together, that that would lead me to believe that whoever had them would have had some SMS sets as well and broken them up.

- DS

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.....showing some of the novice still in me......they have already been listed on Ebay. If these are something special, maybe I should end the auction and relist?? Would love to hear some opinions

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread