Tellers need some training or just hire some that arnt lazy.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tellers need some training or just hire some that arn't lazy.

I usually get my half boxes at BofA, I have two ordered for pickup this Friday. But also this week I wanted to order a 3rd box from a new bank. So I went to one of my dump banks where the lead teller has been friendly and talkative. I dump very little at this branch, compared with all the others.

Courtney, was not in last night so I have to go up to an open teller window. I ask the girl if she can order me a box of halves and she instantly says "Oh, we don't sell half dollars!" I said "Oh, yes you do!" and she got an attitude like what does a customer know.

I just called the branch and Courtney is sick today so I asked whoever answered the phone to order a box and she said OK it will be in Thursday. I am going to try and have that same teller when I go in to pick up the box. ;)

Upvote 0

boflexson

Jan 29, 2007
Green Bay, WI
Re: Tellers need some training or just hire some that arn't lazy.

I've found there to be quite a range of tellers, from "go out of there way nice" to "uppity bitch".

Next time as for the manager in front of her. I think I'm gonna start making a scene more often when I find a rude teller.

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot

That just happend to me yesterday during a return at a new bank. Went in to return and the teller says "what are you doing with these?" "who's giving them to you?" "Do you have an account?". I said excuse me just to see if you would actually be so rude as to repeat herself in the same tone(bitchy). She did. I said "It's part of my business and none of yours. I do have an account. Now will you exchange these for cash? If it's to difficult perhaps the branch manager can do it for you". She had the last swing making me write my name on each roll. >:(

This was my first rude teller since I started In Nov.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wheres_wheatie said:
She had the last swing making me write my name on each roll. >:(

I would call the manager and innocently ask about returning coins. "do I need to write my name on every roll?"

When she says "NO" ask her why that teller made you do it and caused such a scene and embarrassed you and held up the line, etc, etc.

Where I do my main banking they do not want anything written on the rolls and at my secondary bank they only want an account number.

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Some treat me extremely nicely...

A couple... not so nice. And not, I am not a criminal trying to rip the bank off by shorting rolls.

In fact sometimes i put in extra.

-CC

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon

I had a girl tell me she coudn't sell me the filled bags of halfs. I was out of town and I brought some halfs back to that bank and like 5 coins went in and filled the bag. So I figured I would just buy that bag back. She said she woudn't sell it. They had to send them back to the Fed.......I was kinda pissed and made a scene a little bit. But on the bright side she ended up selling me a box she said they didnt have a few minutes earlier and I got 20 40%, 3 walkers and 1 90%.... and an ike to boot! So it ended up ok.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I had a girl tell me she coudn't sell me the filled bags of halfs. I was out of town and I brought some halfs back to that bank and like 5 coins went in and filled the bag. So I figured I would just buy that bag back. She said she woudn't sell it. They had to send them back to the Fed.......I was kinda pissed and made a scene a little bit. But on the bright side she ended up selling me a box she said they didnt have a few minutes earlier and I got 20 40%, 3 walkers and 1 90%.... and an ike to boot! So it ended up ok.

I have talked to a few bank different banks about buying bags of coins from them. Its typically dependent on the branch/manager of that branch. There are some valid/semi-valid reasons why they don't want to sell you the bags.

My understanding of their main concern is they don't trust their coin counter and are afraid it will either give you more cash than you are paying (paying $500 for a $500 bag of halves that actually contains $550) and the bank will be short money or that it will give you less cash than you are paying (paying $500 for a $450 bag of halves that also contains 100 pennies) and you, the customer, will call and complain about their service which they don't want either. So from a bank's perspective it can be viewed as a no win situation, so they just refuse to sell the bags.

From my experience the coin counting machines are typically close, but they are usually off slightly. For example one $50 bag of pennies I bought last summer had $5 in quarters, dimes, and nickels in it, so I gained like $4.50 just for buying that bag and cashing back in. I believe its an "at your own risk" type purchase when you buy bags of anything larger than pennies (or maybe nickels) unless they run the coins back through the machine to verify the count. The verified count usually will get rid of the missorted pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters that can cost you in a half dollar bag. The only risk is that they will pick out the silver you are trying to get. Though most times the counter is where you can see it, so it hasn't really been a problem for me as of yet.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

boflexson said:
I've found there to be quite a range of tellers, from "go out of there way nice" to "uppity bitch".

Next time as for the manager in front of her. I think I'm gonna start making a scene more often when I find a rude teller.
i make a scene if they are a "clerk" who gives attitude period anywhere

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cyberdan said:
........and she said OK it will be in Thursday. I am going to try and have that same teller when I go in to pick up the box. ;)

Well here is the conclusion of my story from the top of this thread.

I went back to Well Fargo last night, hoping to get that same teller but there was another girl there. The head teller was there and recognized me (with a big :) ) and before I could say a word she told me my box was in and she would be right back. Oh well, I couldn't rub in the fact that some customers know more than the employees. I told Courtney about the "problem" she apologised and asked me to go to the merchant window from now on.

So far (15 rolls) I have only found one 40% and a BU/AU the box and wrappers are exactly the same as I get from BofA. Maybe they both use the same armored car service or different armored car services buy the same supplies (boxes & wrappers). I am looking for a different source. These two banks are 5 miles apart.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread