Nifc coins, i dont get it

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are nifc why do I find so many in circulation?

Some people think they will be worth money in the future because the mintages are low on them. Most post 2002 or 2001 whatever it is that are non silver have a mintage of 1.5-3 million. There are old walkers that have mintages of 1-1.5 million that are worth spot, same as a walker with 30 million minted. So how is a coin that 75 years newer and not a pm going to hold any kind of numismatic value, especially with around 10 years with of low minting?

Upvote 0

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fish on ! Now that's the kind of "NIFC" we can all believe in !!!!! Great find Amigo !

Thanks. I was really psyched to find it. That's my first modern proof silver. My completely non-numismatic research shows that it may actually be the lowest mintage of all the Kennedy half dollars. It's a shame that it isn't in better shape.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I never once said that you couldn't sell non- silver "NIFC"'s What I said was if you wanted a true test of their VALUE - you take them to the "sharks" not
the suckers ! I'm perfectly aware that you can sell an image of Christ that you see on a tortilla - on e-bay ! At least if you are going to quote me ,
have an understanding of my meaning , especially if you disagree with the point I'm trying to make .

LCS value may be more true, but eBay values are separate and valid if you are selling. If someone will pay for it at a price, that's how much it's worth because you could sell it for that much.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. I was really psyched to find it. That's my first modern proof silver. My completely non-numismatic research shows that it may actually be the lowest mintage of all the Kennedy half dollars. It's a shame that it isn't in better shape.

Congrats! The 2009-S silver half has a lower mintage unfortunately.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I agree that LCS are the sharks and Ebay has a lot of suckers, but there is another difference.
LCS are wholesale buyers and Ebay are retail buyers.
The discussion is the same for saving Lincoln Memorial copper cents and selling them in bulk for 1.2-1.5 cents each.
If you want to take the time and the hassle, there is money to be made.

One thing that would help the value of NIFCs would be if production stopped or at least a design change.
Not likely to happen given the profit (although small) the Mint makes from them.

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Got a bag of halfs that was nearly half full of nifcs about a month ago. I pulld them out just to see if i could sell them. 424 face value, 848 coins. Listed them at $650 on ebay with nothing. $600 with nothing and then got an offer and finally sold for $535. After shipping and fees i stand to make about $25 dollars i think. Not much, but it turned a skunk bag into some profit. Im sure i could have made more separating them out and selling them in runs....but that just was not worth my time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread