Nifc coins, i dont get it

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are nifc why do I find so many in circulation?

Some people think they will be worth money in the future because the mintages are low on them. Most post 2002 or 2001 whatever it is that are non silver have a mintage of 1.5-3 million. There are old walkers that have mintages of 1-1.5 million that are worth spot, same as a walker with 30 million minted. So how is a coin that 75 years newer and not a pm going to hold any kind of numismatic value, especially with around 10 years with of low minting?

Upvote 0

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Uh ohh, this threads gonna get heated pretty quick haha.

Here's my opinion: The low mintage halfs (post 2002) will offer a larger premium in the future because they will be harder and harder to find due to so many people hoarding them and eventually being worn out of circulation. Currently they are worth 2x to 4x FV on ebay. A roll of NIfC halfs (2002-2008) on eBay sells for around 20 to 30 bucks right now. There is no reason why this price should drop in the future, the price can only go up. Here's the eBay link:

2002 2008 Kennedy Half Dollar Lot 20 Coins UNCIRCUL8TD BU Roll from US Mint Sets | eBay

It's totally personal preference wither or not YOU think they are worth keeping. Personally I keep the post 2002 halfs, all 2009 (Cents, Nickels, Dimes, and Quarters), but I don't keep any of the older nickels from the late 40's 50's or 60's. Like I said its all personal preference about what is worth keeping. Another thing people hoard are the Ikes, personally I don't see them worth hoarding. What you keep is all up to you and everyone has their own opinions about it.

Happy Hunting! Curious to see what other have to say

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just don't understand why anyone would dump anything that they can get double face value for. I mean, copper cents don't even get that kind of profit margin, and plenty of people save those (and/or sell them). For me, saving them for future increases is irrelevant. They're worth something right now, if you're willing to put the very small effort into gathering and selling them.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I just don't understand why anyone would dump anything that they can get double face value for. I mean, copper cents don't even get that kind of profit margin, and plenty of people save those (and/or sell them). For me, saving them for future increases is irrelevant. They're worth something right now, if you're willing to put the very small effort into gathering and selling them.
How many have you sold, and what method do you use to sell, if you don't mind my asking?

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure that listing that was referred to earlier in the thread didn't sell. If you can get more than face value, great! I see no upside in the future for those tho.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
NIFC's were already sold to collectors in the first place, so for the most part anyone who wants them already has them. I don't see where the demand will come from that ever drives prices up - I doubt they'll ever be worth much of a premium, and certainly not worth a premium in my lifetime. I keep them because I'm OCD, but I'm sure I'll dump most of them for it's all said and done.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Uh ohh, this threads gonna get heated pretty quick haha.

Here's my opinion: The low mintage halfs (post 2002) will offer a larger premium in the future because they will be harder and harder to find due to so many people hoarding them and eventually being worn out of circulation. Currently they are worth 2x to 4x FV on ebay. A roll of NIfC halfs (2002-2008) on eBay sells for around 20 to 30 bucks right now. There is no reason why this price should drop in the future, the price can only go up. Here's the eBay link:

2002 2008 Kennedy Half Dollar Lot 20 Coins UNCIRCUL8TD BU Roll from US Mint Sets | eBay

It's totally personal preference wither or not YOU think they are worth keeping. Personally I keep the post 2002 halfs, all 2009 (Cents, Nickels, Dimes, and Quarters), but I don't keep any of the older nickels from the late 40's 50's or 60's. Like I said its all personal preference about what is worth keeping. Another thing people hoard are the Ikes, personally I don't see them worth hoarding. What you keep is all up to you and everyone has their own opinions about it.

Happy Hunting! Curious to see what other have to say

The link you provided was for BU NIFCs halves (brilliant uncirculated) The NIFCs that I usually find are AU, which is different.
I am in agreement that one can sell NIFCs on Ebay for a profit. Like anything else the price you will get will fluctuate with quality of the coin and interest of the buyer(s).
I have kept 3 sets of NIFCs for posterity ( I don't expect any big payoff in the next 20-30 yrs)

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't think they are worth more than face value. I don't think they are that rare. I find tons of them in each box I search and never really contemplated saving them. I did get two mint rolls or NIFC's from a teller one time. I searched ebay to see what they were going for and it really wasn't even worth listing them. I think the only mint rolls that had sold on ebay went for $15-17 per roll and a lot of them had not sold. When I factored in the packaging, shipping, and hassle of listing and going to the post office not to mention the 12% ebay/paypal fee I deemed it not worth my time and sold them to a local coin shop for face value and future consideration in my dealings with them.

Considering a mint roll would be worth more than NIFC's that you find in a circualted box, I think anyone saving them is wasting their time. That's just my opiniion. With that being said, I encourage all hunters to save as many NIFC's as they possibly can since that will lessen the amount of worthless clad that I have to shuffle through every week. :laughing7:

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many have you sold, and what method do you use to sell, if you don't mind my asking?

I haven't sold any yet myself - just looking at the completed/sold auctions on eBay. Looking at it again, I'd have to say my initial statement that they easily sell for 2x-4x face value was an overstatement for the AU coins we typically see in rolls. I'd say 1.5x-2x is more accurate. Still worth it, in my opinion.

I haven't sold anything at all on eBay since I started CRH, but I expect to list several things in the next few weeks. My "inventory" is getting to large, and I need to replenish the growing hole in my bank account.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep the better ones for my albums, I'm trying to get some others (if I can find a cheap album to throw them in) and sell them, hoping to profit on them, but the few that I have sold were tough sells. I had a lot of like $10 FV and they sat on eBay for about a month (3 listing cycles) before anyone watched or bid on them. I ended up selling them for like $16 or so (a lot of different years).

On the other hand, I sold an uncirculated roll of 1994-D halves for ~$17 (found them in a CWR at a bank last year). <--- Sold the first time I listed them.

- DS

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't save them aside from whatever I need to fill in holes in my coin album, but try to buy a missing NIFC on ebay and see how much you will have to pay. There's enough of a premium there that I don't buy any, just search for them.

Also, U.S. mint rolls of NIFCs are a different story. I've sold rolls of those that I picked up at face for a good profit.

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've finally put my theory to the test and put some of these up on ebay. I completed the entire P&D run from 2002-2011, and listed the 20 coin lot with a minimum bid of $13.99 + $3 shipping (which would net me about $1.50 after fees). The bid is up to $20 right now, with 6 hours to go. That would leave me about $17 after fees, which is 1.7x face value. Not great, but I'd say it was worth the hassle.

Not including a link because I don't want to cross any lines about selling on here. I just thought it was useful to the discussion about whether these are worth keeping or not.

A

Ag_Forager

I've finally put my theory to the test and put some of these up on ebay. I completed the entire P&D run from 2002-2011, and listed the 20 coin lot with a minimum bid of $13.99 + $3 shipping (which would net me about $1.50 after fees). The bid is up to $20 right now, with 6 hours to go. That would leave me about $17 after fees, which is 1.7x face value. Not great, but I'd say it was worth the hassle.

Not including a link because I don't want to cross any lines about selling on here. I just thought it was useful to the discussion about whether these are worth keeping or not.

Nice follow-up Jamesandsons.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats not bad though for a roi- im 2 away (2011p) away from having my 2 sets completed-

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok , I tried to put this topic to bed a couple of years ago , I'll repeat what I've said before - if you really want to test the "value" of non-silver NIFC's walk them
into your friendly neighborhood coin store -TRY to get one cent more than face value for them !!! Nuff said !!!

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok , I tried to put this topic to bed a couple of years ago , I'll repeat what I've said before - if you really want to test the "value" of non-silver NIFC's walk them
into your friendly neighborhood coin store -TRY to get one cent more than face value for them !!! Nuff said !!!

If you can get 1.7x face why waste your time at a lcs? There is a market for EVERYTHING- just gotta find the right person and ebay is a great place- theres also another listing on ebay for 20 misc nifc coins 2003-2010 going for $20.00 pkus shipping- so there are pepople out there willing to pay-how many? Probably not enough for all us CRHers to sell em all the time but by these two examples it shows you can get more than face for them

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't keep even half the stuff I do if the only market for it was at an LCS. I doubt they'd offer me over face for pre-1982 copper cents there either, but that doesn't mean someone else won't.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I sold 11 S-Proofs mixed condition for 25 bucks. and 4 rolls of Nifc for 55 bucks to a dude on clist. Could of got more on ebay, but this took 5 minutes without all the hassle.

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The way you listed them is selling well because you made a collectible set out of them, and that is the best way to do it. Trying to sell a few here and a few there would be a waste of time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread