Out of stock? Huh.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I just picked up a two-box order that had came in on Thursday, but I didn't get a chance to pick it up until today as I was on a little mini-vacation up north. First was a skunk, second had 6 40% kens and 1 90% ken. What was more interesting to me was the fact that the vault teller who I spoke with said that he can't order next week because the coin supplier is out of half dollars.

Now normally I would say BS on this one, but this time I think it's different. I had a 25-box order two hours north on Thursday to start off this vacation, and the boxes came from Loomis when normally it is String & Sons at this particular bank. Loomis is the same supplier who feeds me halves at all of my pickup banks in Madison. Not only that, but one of the boxes held a roll that had an ender with an identifying mark that led me to believe these came from where I live. It was a small metal badge from "Ronald McDonald House Madison". It wasn't counted as a coin, but it was still neat to see it and it helped to further connect the dots.

I'll keep you updated tomorrow. If the half dollar boxes are truly out of stock, I'll hear it from my best pick up bank tomorrow who is set to order me eight boxes. Have any of you high volume CRHers encountered this situation before?

On an unrelated note, we were taking my son for a walk on a sandy ATV/snowmobile trail in a national forest in the furthest reaches of northern Wisconsin. We were looking for wild blueberries. What I found was more interesting. I spotted a coin just ahead of the stroller as we were walking, and the stroller rolled over it. When I looked down it was a 1934 merc! I wish I would have snapped a photo before grabbing it, but I couldn't wait. I also wish I would have had my metal detector handy, but it was on the long ride back home in my uncle's vehicle.

Upvote 0

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome trail find! You know where to take the detector now if Mercs are just laying on the ground!
Happy hunting!
Wickaboah

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, yes, I have encountered the out of stock thing before, I was ordering from a bank that has a "central vault" and they had to wait a week to fill my order because there wasn't enough in their vault to fill my order of 10 boxes. The next week they had my order, I don't order from there anymore since slowing my volume down now. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other branch that I pick up at said that she has no problem ordering next week. They even offered to increase the order for next week. It was just more BS from a bank that doesn't want to order half dollars!

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had this happen a couple times. My larger volume is all through one bank and I order from 6 branches. Every now and then it will happen to me. Sometimes only a couple branches will get my order in and the rest don't show. For a couple weeks they had string n sons when it's usually Brinks.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
String and Sons is not a courier company, so those wrappers may be used by any company.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread