Not Cool Bro!

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask the head teller for some halves and he says wait a minute. So I see and hear him dig around in drawer and then I hear it. Clink shuffle shuffle clink clink. After all that I get 2 clad halves. I say thank you and move on. I felt a disturbance in the clad but I didn't call him on it. Maybe tomorrow. HH

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 4 years of collecting just the halves I picked up a little over $1400 in face of just the 40%'s, about $500 in 90%'s!!!

What is truly impressive is that you stockpiled a whopping 2800 40%ers at a time when they weren't worth anything over face value. There are many veteran hunters on this site that wish that they had that same foresight.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Tellers have the right to CRH. I absolutely hate it when they do it in front of me, but I believe they have the right to do so. A bank is not a coin shop. They do not have to sell you those pretty silver rimmed coins just because you want them.

You didn't even have an account at this bank - not that that would change my opinion of the matter, but its another mark against you in this instance. IMO you positively had the right to refuse to purchase the clad after the teller took the silver, but I don't see where you have any real complaint whatsoever. What your complaint would be most likely to do - if it causes anything noticeable at all to happen - is that bank would institute a "sell coin to business account holders ONLY" policy, effectively ending your (and everyone elses') CRHing at every branch of this bank.

You should pick your battles very wisely in this hobby. Its a single 40%er. You didn't have an account at this bank. It will happen to you multiple times in the future if you continue the hobby. Let it go.

Although they do crh they don't have a right. It's the same thing as walmart or target employees grabbing and buying all the door Buster merchandise on black Friday. It's the same reason the brinks or Loomis workers can't pull silver. They are there for a job to do, not cherry pick anything they see as value.
I normally go about my business if it's in there tray. But if I see it in there table top tray, and they deny selling them I'll call the manager over.
9/10 the manager tells them to sell

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although they do crh they don't have a right. It's the same thing as walmart or target employees grabbing and buying all the door Buster merchandise on black Friday...

No, it isn't. Banks are not in the business of selling coins. Those coins you see in the tellers' trays are not items for sale. The teller's tray is just a tool for the teller. Easy access to the coins and a quick, easy count at the end of the day. It is not displaying items for sale. The fact that you can often see what's hiding in there is irrelevent.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
No, it isn't. Banks are not in the business of selling coins. Those coins you see in the tellers' trays are not items for sale. The teller's tray is just a tool for the teller. Easy access to the coins and a quick, easy count at the end of the day. It is not displaying items for sale. The fact that you can often see what's hiding in there is irrelevent.

There also not there to crh. They are there to do a job. If you tried making extra money on the side on your jobs time they would fire you. No different here

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Banks are in the business of selling a service. They hold your money and lend it to other people. When you want that money back, you go in and they give it to you. That may be an oversimplification of the banking system, but in the purest form that's what it is. In that sense, if I have an account at a bank those coins in the tray are already mine, not the tellers, so don't get it twisted.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Banks are in the business of selling a service. They hold your money and lend it to other people. When you want that money back, you go in and they give it to you. That may be an oversimplification of the banking system, but in the purest form that's what it is. In that sense, if I have an account at a bank those coins in the tray are already mine, not the tellers, so don't get it twisted.

Yup

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the teller also has an account, then ist the coin also their?

Finders keepers and everything else is sour grapes if you ask me.

In the op's case, after I thought more about it I feel he has a legit gripe. The teller should have minded their business.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best thing to do when tellers snipe silver in front of you is to bring them lots of rolls to search through. One teller really pissed me off when I asked for halves and she collected a few rolls from other tellers and proceeded to search them, right in front of me. For that and other reasons, that branch is now a dump bank. The sad look on her face today, when she saw my heavy coin bag, gave me a happy feeling inside. I agree with others who just accept that tellers can hunt for silver, but they shouldn't be rude about it.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There also not there to crh. They are there to do a job. If you tried making extra money on the side on your jobs time they would fire you. No different here

That is between employer and employee. What an employee is allowed/not allowed to do on his/her job is none of anyones' business outside of the company. That would be like me walking in off the street to your job, catching you drinking a soda, and telling you to stop doing that and get your butt back to work.

I once had a job working in a hunting/fishing type retail store. I got the opportunity to pick through and purchase (at cost) any merchandise before (or after) it hit the shelves. Also, during downtime, I could do anything I liked. College homework, play video games, take a nap, etc. The owner was fine with it.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually had a head teller do this to me obnoxiously the other day. I asked for halves when I was in a rush at a bank. The one teller says: "I have $2.50 worth, let me check what the drive through has". With that the head teller goes to the drive through and comes back and says: "they have $14 worth and this teller has $2 worth" (about the original teller as the head teller is putting one off to the side. The original teller then says: "I had $2.50 worth". The head teller then says: "I'm buying this one because it is silver. It's 40% silver so I want that one" and then they sell me the rest. I don't have an account at this bank and I was running late and quite frankly I was absolutely in shock at the poor customer service of this swarmy head teller. I've been letting this exchange stew in my head for a few days.

On the one had, it was a single 40%'er a day after I had a box with 49 silvers in it, so in the grand scheme of things it is of no consequence. On the other hand, at this point it isn't even about the silver. It is about this dude having some kind of power trip and overtly putting his desires ahead of serving a customer, while directly saying as much. This dude was out of hand. Since that day I have gone to a different branch of the same bank and secured the contact info of the regional manager for this bank. I am seriously considering making that the most expensive 40% that teller has ever purchased. I am all for tellers sniping silver. But for a head teller to snipe silver out of a different tellers tray right after that teller said he was going to give it to a customer is crossing the line. Decisions, decisions.......

sorry man that was WRONG make the call!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread