When to get a coin Graded? 1936 Buffalo.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found a 1936 Buffalo nickel and it is in amazing shape. Most of the Buffs I have found are either "No Dates" or badly worn but still visible dates. This '36 is super sharp. Appears to have the full horn on the reverse as well as the fur detail on the shoulder and along the back. So I wanted to start a thread just to get some opinions on whether or not it would be worth getting graded. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure of the cost of grading, but if I do get it done, I would like to go with PCGS. Thoughts? Thanks for looking and here are two pictures of said 1936 Buffalo.

1936 Buffalo.jpg
1936 Buffalo 2.jpg

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang that is nice- found that in a roll? Was it cwr or mwr?
And ya id grade it
-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
Vdubguy

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this beauty in a MWR. I Could not believe how clean it was, and not worn down to nothing like ALL the others I have found.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what do you intend to do - sell or keep. Don't have a price guide handy, but I don't recall this on being too expensive in higher grades. It would cost 25-35 to get it slabbed,so if you plan to sell, slabbing would eat up your profit.

OP
OP
Vdubguy

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was planning on keeping it for now, maybe just put it in a 2x2 and call it a day. Part of me wants to see it in one of those graded cases. I understand that it is a common date, just thought with it being in such great shape, get it graded and put into one of those cases so its never touched again, haha, and just hold onto it. Mainly cause it's the best Buff I have found so far.

waseeker- thanks for the cost, I did not even have a ball park guess of how much it would be. Now knowing the $25-$35 price tag of getting that done, I have some pondering to do.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As mentioned above, it's a common date. In fact, it's the most common Buffalo minted (nearly 120M). IMO, you'd need a grade of (maybe MS-62) just to break even. As other have said, I'd just keep the coin and give it an attractive display. It is awesome.
Don....

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
As mentioned above, it's a common date. In fact, it's the most common Buffalo minted (nearly 120M). IMO, you'd need a grade of (maybe MS-62) just to break even. As other have said, I'd just keep the coin and give it an attractive display. It is awesome.
Don....

I agree but a very nice coin! Congrats on the find! The only real problem I see with the coin, is the rim rash.

Frank

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be dumb to slab that. I have a raw 65-66 sitting in my Dansco because it isn't worth the grading fees. That's like, a 62.

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a few Jeffs and a Rosie that I've debated about grading, too. In the end I decided to put them in 2x2's for now. That doesn't mean I won't eventually decide to have a couple of them slabbed, but for now I'm very happy with displaying them as is in the 2x2s.

OP
OP
Vdubguy

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will be going into a 2x2 for now. Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Get a "red" book and follow through the grading levels yourself. At least you would have a ballpark level of grade as it is right now, and save the PCGS fee.

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
after reading about the grading process, why do people use the 2x2 cards--- over time the plastics leach out onto the metal, damaging the surface. would you be better off just putting it in a drawer?

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's PVC, not Mylar. All modern 2x2s are made with Mylar.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with others here, not worth the grading price. Absolutely beautiful coin!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread