Dimes: date check OR rim check?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a dime CHR doing 8-12 boxes a week. I also date check all my dimes. By doing so I find several 2009's, some proofs (rare), and naturally silver Rosie's &Merc's. I'd like to increase my box volume, which would cause me to rim check only. What do I stand to loose (other than 2009's & proofs) by rim checking?

Upvote 0

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You won't lose proofs by rim checking. I only rim check and I've found five proofs so far. The rim is noticeably wider on a proof.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats about it- I never face checked dimes-

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
What are your averages? And where are you located? And how do you dump? :P haha

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i rim check then sound check my dimes, I've missed quite a few silver dimes rim checking but have saved a couple from being dumped back into circulation by the sound check i do in my hand after the roll is searched. It's hard to explain how I soun check but it works... date checking 8-12 boxes a week must strain the eyes!

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would only edge check unless you live near Ohio. That's where the 1982 no P dimes were discovered. You have a reasonable chance of finding one with large volume. Otherwise go for silver.

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you have the patience to date check all those dimes?

Just rim check and if anything looks like it could be a dirty silver or something interesting take a look at it.

Last edited:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
off topic, but i found a 2009 nickel accidentally while checking for pre 1960 ones in a nickel roll. I don't keep an eye out for them but keep them if i stumble across one :)

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I couldn't even imagine date checking dimes. I'm just after silver and I don't think I miss any. Also I reroll most of my dimes so I need to keep them in a nice straight line in my hand so I can slip them into a wrapper in one smooth motion. I've gotten really fast at it.

Mtldealer

May 8, 2012
District 12, SouthWest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing you have to lose by checking dimes is when unscrupulous customers put pennies in the dime rolls (when your picking up customer rolled stuff) and you lose .09 cents on your investment. I have had that happen to me a couple times... Now I check a couple of of the rolls per "batch" of customers. From the solid boxes of $500 I find that they are easier to open than the Halfs and I have actually lately been getting better percentages on the dimes than the Halfs. This week I picked up $5000 in dimes and each box netteda minimum of 1 silver dime... The biggest box had 4. I put them thru a machine - I'm 35 and for some reason my eyes aren't able to see the silver when I visually sort. Happy hunting.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I rim check only. I don't have the time to face check 8-12 boxes a week.

suggestion: If you want to know what you are missing by rim checking only, you have to test yourself. rim check then face check and see what you have missed. the more boxes you do like that the better your understanding of the situation will be. only then will you know.

if I post that I rim check 8-15 boxes a week and never miss anything, that doesn't really have any bearing on anyone else?

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if you miss the occasional proof, what are u really missing? They have been circulated and damaged. Sounds like alot of extra work for minimal return.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As if date searching cents and nickels wasn't bad enough. Rim searching is the way to go for everything else. Check out all the nice sharp rims if you're looking for proofs, varieties, errors, etc. I've found a small handful of non-silver keepers simply by looking at all the coins that appear to be in good condition based on the rim.

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You won't lose proofs by rim checking. I only rim check and I've found five proofs so far. The rim is noticeably wider on a proof.

I just recently switched from date-checking to rim-checking (80+ 2009's is enough for now!), and I would have missed my first-ever proof dime today (1984) if I hadn't read this post earlier in the week. Thanks for the tip!

Nydus Touch

Jan 9, 2013
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Even if you miss the occasional proof, what are u really missing? They have been circulated and damaged. Sounds like alot of extra work for minimal return.

I only rim search and I think this is the best approach to Dimes. I mainly search Dimes and have only found 2 proofs. They are a nice foot note to the silver, but not good for much else. Another good way know if you are missing anything is to pull foreign coins (which all have a solid/non clad looking rim) and see if any turn up in your dumps. That way: if you see foreign coins in your dumps: you know you are missing possible keepers. I have no doubt that I have missed a proof or two, but I find the volume of rim searching to be a worth while trade off.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I answered my own question. While going thru a dime box yesterday, was about to do only RIM checking, came across some very dirty/stained rims. Looking at the rims much closer & slower, I then realized that this one was silver. Had I just rushed and looked quickly for the "pretty white rim ones" I would have missed it, had I not date checked. There was a second roll in the same box, same situation. Total for box: 3-Rosie's.
I think I'll continue to date check, avg box takes me 1 hr. 20 minutes. To me it's a Hobby, not a money making venture that "I have to make my quota", or else throw in the towel.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see 2009 rosie's go for about $1.45 on ebay with free shipping. if you can get them mailed for normal postage, after fees that's somewhere in the 85 cents range. Do you save these up by the roll then?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions