Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm thinking about cutting out my nickel order and dime order and replacing it with halves. I think I'd rather stack large than have a variety what chu think?? Was thinking about cutting my cent order but I was all like hell naw I love them wheats makes me a little hungry mmmm!
wheat-info1[1].gif
Id like to know how you guys arrange your orders.

Upvote 0

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I order as many boxes of halves as I think I have a chance of picking up without getting fired. This week it is 24 boxes. We'll see if I still have a job after this week.....

Then weekends is all about picking up teller tray scores and boxes of dimes and quarters on saturdays and sundays.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yo dawg i love dem wheaties homie! I got $25 in cwr cents and each roll had 1-2 wheats in it and the rolls were roughly 90% copper cents. too bad the rolls look like they have been stored away a long time and the coins are moldy looking! but hey copper is copper and wheats are wheats!

also one penny roll i had today contained 23 common clad dimes and 27 pennies haha that was a first for me.. they were all lumped together too at the other end of the roll(yes, there was a dime ender in my penny roll :P )
keep on stackin my friend!

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
This is worth exactly what I'm charging you, nothing, so here goes.... If the goal is to stack silver, CRH'ing is almost certainly a very poor idea. With the time and resources expended you'd be far, far better off mowing lawns and taking that money to buy around spot. However, I believe most of us aren't really in it to stack silver, we're in it because we like the idea of treasure hunting and treasure finding. With that being said I like to find all kinds of treasure. I found 2 buffalo's in a roll yesterday and was stoked. One was dateless so worth a nickel and the other was a decent 1920 so maybe a buck or two - not even 'worth' the melt value of a 40%er. However I was definitely more amped about a 2 Buffalo roll than I am about any single 40%er. If you like finding Rosie's (one of my favorites) or low mintage Jeffersons (one of my favorites) or wheat pennies (one of your favorites) or gold coins in dime rolls (one of my favorites) than I'd say a few boxes of everything is the way to go. If you only like hunting and finding halves then up your halve volume. If you want to accumulate and hoard silver then buy a lawnmower.

To your question about breakdown here was my week last week:

Pennies - $85.00
Nickels - $510.00
Dimes - $1,285.00
Quarters - $240.00
Halves - $2,100.50
Dollars - $36.00

I prefer the variety. Had a bad penny week (25 wheats), a very good nickel week (5 War, 5 Buff's, 2 proofs and several lower mintage Jeffs, 1938, 2x1952-S, 2x1958, etc...), a horrible dime week (3 Rosie's - the previous week was unbelievable), an average quarter week (I never find anything other than a stray teller tray find every now and again), a very poor halves week (3x40%ers, 5 proofs, 1 foreign a 5 Drachmai from Greece and 29 NIFC's including a mint roll of '06-P) and a pretty good IKE's week (found 21 strong BU IKE's, very nice coins). I'd rather have the variety than another 3 or 4 40%ers. That being said I'd rather have another 40-50 40%ers than the variety.....

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
gotta love dem wheats. I stopped hunting nickels, I only get a few pre-1960's a box now, its been boxes since my last war nick. I stopped hunting dimes when there became less silver to be found than in halves. guess we ain't nickel & dime'n it anymore homie.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is worth exactly what I'm charging you, nothing, so here goes.... If the goal is to stack silver, CRH'ing is almost certainly a very poor idea. With the time and resources expended you'd be far, far better off mowing lawns and taking that money to buy around spot. However, I believe most of us aren't really in it to stack silver, we're in it because we like the idea of treasure hunting and treasure finding. With that being said I like to find all kinds of treasure. I found 2 buffalo's in a roll yesterday and was stoked. One was dateless so worth a nickel and the other was a decent 1920 so maybe a buck or two - not even 'worth' the melt value of a 40%er. However I was definitely more amped about a 2 Buffalo roll than I am about any single 40%er. If you like finding Rosie's (one of my favorites) or low mintage Jeffersons (one of my favorites) or wheat pennies (one of your favorites) or gold coins in dime rolls (one of my favorites) than I'd say a few boxes of everything is the way to go. If you only like hunting and finding halves then up your halve volume. If you want to accumulate and hoard silver then buy a lawnmower.

To your question about breakdown here was my week last week:

Pennies - $85.00
Nickels - $510.00
Dimes - $1,285.00
Quarters - $240.00
Halves - $2,100.50
Dollars - $36.00

I prefer the variety. Had a bad penny week (25 wheats), a very good nickel week (5 War, 5 Buff's, 2 proofs and several lower mintage Jeffs, 1938, 2x1952-S, 2x1958, etc...), a horrible dime week (3 Rosie's - the previous week was unbelievable), an average quarter week (I never find anything other than a stray teller tray find every now and again), a very poor halves week (3x40%ers, 5 proofs, 1 foreign a 5 Drachmai from Greece and 29 NIFC's including a mint roll of '06-P) and a pretty good IKE's week (found 21 strong BU IKE's, very nice coins). I'd rather have the variety than another 3 or 4 40%ers. That being said I'd rather have another 40-50 40%ers than the variety.....

I agree with this to a point. I think halves are mediocre until you come to a collection dump. Since there are less halves in circulation than other denominations the collection dumps are concentrated in a narrow range of boxes. So halves seem pretty week when you are doing a ton of volume and grabbing a one or two silver per box average, but once that collection dump hits you are well served by having the high volume. If you are doing low volume and get two boxes with a collection dump in them then it is already too late to up your volume because by the time those newly ordered boxes come in the dump is already out of the system. I found close to 45 ounces in the last two weeks thanks to a huge collection in the system and having a lot of boxes on order..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions