How do i get a hold of Eisenhower dollars ?

Aug 11, 2013
Newport RI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,
I see Eisenhower dollars are really difficult to come across? I asked a few banks if they could order some and they all said "well if we put a order in for dollars we will get the presidential ones, we can't pick the Eisenhower dollars"

Has anyone order these from banks? I don't want them fro ebay, to expensive.

Any thoughts ?

Ha I wrote Eisenhower half dollars !

Upvote 0

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the years, I probably been through a couple thousand of them. Mostly one or two here and there with an occasional 50 or 100. Found 700 of them at one bank as I heard them counting them on the back counter (just sounded like large coins) and asked about them.

Found 1 proof, 2 morgans, 2 peace dollars (all four silver dollars were in the same stop) and have had a standing offer from a coin dealer to buy at $1.05 for as many as I want to sell. I have a sold a couple hundred for spending money at coin shows, some at $1.05 and some at $1.10. Not a big profit, but 5% or 10% is still better than nothing so long as it isn't eating into your hunting budget.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
right up there with my 1970 Franklin half, the Eisenhower half dollar is one of the rarest coins in all existence.

lf

Golden Eagle

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two ideas.

Ask for them at banks.

Buy them from someone who has a stock of them. I have like 50, for example, that I picked up for the sole reason to sell to people who would be looking for them

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go through some randomly at times. I usually dump them back in a coinlok bag and save a few hundred out for myself to spend around town and get some jacked up looks and asked "what is it?!?!" Buy Girl Scout cookies with them, they love them =)

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't found a bank that will order for me yet. Found 1 40% silver Ike and 2 Peace dollars in probably $800-$1000 worth of "large dollars" found in the wild. I have good luck selling the clad ones though for a small profit, so I do better on that than on the meager dollar silver finds

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go through some randomly at times. I usually dump them back in a coinlok bag and save a few hundred out for myself to spend around town and get some jacked up looks and asked "what is it?!?!" Buy Girl Scout cookies with them, they love them =)

yea I love to spend 'em around town too. they're great tips at bars

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL Joe i wish i knew somebody to buy them more than face value locally, would be awesome to make extra money off of them instead of just tossing back into a coinlok bag. Any advice on how to approach that let me know in a PM, i'm all ears.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will sell lots of $1k for face plus shipping and handling. Searched, of course. PM me if you're interested.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL Joe i wish i knew somebody to buy them more than face value locally, would be awesome to make extra money off of them instead of just tossing back into a coinlok bag. Any advice on how to approach that let me know in a PM, i'm all ears.

Craigslist and coin dealers. ask around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread