This is exactly why you should keep this hobby a secret

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this may be a bad title for the thread. I actually kind of believe that anyone who will spend time coin roll hunting will likely come across it in some way shape or form eventually. Those who aren't the personality type won't do it despite what you tell them you found.

What I mean to say is, etiquette is everything, and Moron's will ruin it for everyone, just like everything else. Went in to my best bank today, in terms of friendly tellers, silver flow and CWR coin abundance. I've found many good half scores but never a solid roll. In fact I've never gotten a solid roll of anything but wheats, anywhere in 3 years of doing this.

Teller said "you missed it! some guy came in here last week and dropped off 4 rolls of halves. I didn't even look at 'em. Another guy came in here the next day and asked for halves. I told him I have 4 rolls and don't know what's in there. he bought 'em and 30 of the 40 coins were all silver!!!"

I can deal with a guy beating me to a big score, I really could care less and may even be a bit happy for them. But what I can't tolerate is them telling the teller, even after she explicitly stated to him she didn't check the rolls, that it was a huge silver score. The teller knows what the price of silver is. think she won't be peeking at the next 4 rolls that come in??? yea right.

god I hate people in so many ways. I've spent years becoming friends with this bank and slowly getting good silver scores from it. for one jacka*$ to ruin it because he can't keep his mouth shut really bothers me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep most bank tellers in the dark but i feed them sugar coated crap =)

One bank i have, i taught them how to spot silver coins, i even bring them a coin every once in a while (only 1 girl has interest in them, and it is mainly to save for her son). It has worked in my favor so far. I get phone calls when some random customer dumps coins (the teller gets excited that she finds a few and the rest dump into the bag where i scoop it up from them, ie... over 300 silver dimes a few weeks ago). I have even met the president, vice president and they gave me permission to come into the vault area to feed coins into their counter when i turn in dumps. I recently joked around with them and said i should just do a quality assurance check on their coin boxes to make sure no customers have to deal with those yucky old coins, they laughed and said if i wanted too, its cool with them.

Most of my banks though i just tell them i enjoy finding old coins, errors and oddities. Just so happens that some of the old ones are silver but it isn't my motivation for looking..... i already have a job for money and don't want a 2nd one.

Last edited:

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey SFB, that does suck. Another one I hate is the guy behind you or next to you at the counter and decides to say really loud "HEY, YOU LOOKIN FOR SILVER IN THOSE COINS, I LOOK FOR SILVER TOO!" Idiot! HH, Maverick.

Oh I hate that. I always flash a discrete "STFU old man" glance to him and just move quickly before he starts explaining the whole process.

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep most bank tellers in the dark but i feed them sugar coated crap =)

One bank i have, i taught them how to spot silver coins, i even bring them a coin every once in a while (only 1 girl has interest in them, and it is mainly to save for her son). It has worked in my favor so far. I get phone calls when some random customer dumps coins (the teller gets excited that she finds a few and the rest dump into the bag where i scoop it up from them, ie... over 300 silver dimes a few weeks ago). I have even met the president, vice president and they gave me permission to come into the vault area to feed coins into their counter when i turn in dumps. I recently joked around with them and said i should just do a quality assurance check on their coin boxes to make sure no customers have to deal with those yucky old coins, they laughed and said if i wanted too, its cool with them.

Most of my banks though i just tell them i enjoy finding old coins, errors and oddities. Just so happens that some of the old ones are silver but it isn't my motivation for looking..... i already have a job for money and don't want a 2nd one.

Dude, seriously, that is awesome!!!!

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Every time someone questions if I'm looking for silver. I always show them the side of the box with the date stamped. I always tell 'um that ever since X date or if it has a date stamped on it, it means it was searched for silver on that day.

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
Every time someone questions if I'm looking for silver. I always show them the side of the box with the date stamped. I always tell 'um that ever since X date or if it has a date stamped on it, it means it was searched for silver on that day.

Makes sense homie. Gotta discourage these tellas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread