Profit Maximization for CRH finds. Advice please :)

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as you can keep buying lots of quarters at 2.50 the profit will take care of itself! Anyway, $4.25 isn't awful but you can certainly get more on CL and ebay. If you have active silver buyers in your area I would use CL since you can get a pretty good price and sell quickly without fees and shipping.

OP
OP
Swade2K

Swade2K

Aug 4, 2012
She was absolutely thrilled to get some vacation money and plans to call me if she has any more finds. She also threw in 8 silver rosies and 10 halves for 50 bucks.

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Ebay seems to be where the best prices are for (SELLING) and people are buying without thinking so it seems. I've seen regular silver quarters sell for as much as 6$ each...
I hope you get the best prices either way,
Wickaboag

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don't forget that ebay charges 10% and PayPal takes another 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction.

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CL is the best or find a silver scrap place that buys and sells coins in bulk to places, not scrap the coins. I have a guy scraper that buys coins and sells them to wholesalers not to be melted. He buys at 93% of spot. CL you can get melt or more. HH

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Posted a good portion of my silver on Craigslist, for (ofcourse) over melt ;-)
I don't think I'll get any bites, but am hoping of course!
Wickaboag

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CL is the best or find a silver scrap place that buys and sells coins in bulk to places, not scrap the coins. I have a guy scraper that buys coins and sells them to wholesalers not to be melted. He buys at 93% of spot. CL you can get melt or more. HH

How do you find places like this? I've stopped into a few of these buy gold/silver joints and coin shops just to feel them out on prices and so far the offers were pitiful. I think it's time for me to at least thin the herd of 40%'ers and I have no interest in doing the ebay or CL thing. I think Provident might be my best option, but I'm leery of shipping/insurance, etc.

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
You can do better selling to Provident. No fees. Paying +$2 over spot. Got to have $1000 worth to sell.
Flat rate small priority box fits a lot of coins. $1000 worth of insurance isn't too expensive. Guaranteed rates from reputable buyer.

Last edited:

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can do better selling to Provident. No fees. Paying +$2 over spot. Got to have $1000 worth to sell.
Flat rate small priority box fits a lot of coins. $1000 worth of insurance isn't too expensive. Guaranteed rates from reputable buyer.

Good deal. That's probably what I'll end up doing. I finally hit $1k worth of 40%'ers, so I think I'm going to ship them off. I'm just a little weirded out by putting stuff worth that much money in the mail.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal. That's probably what I'll end up doing. I finally hit $1k worth of 40%'ers, so I think I'm going to ship them off. I'm just a little weirded out by putting stuff worth that much money in the mail.

then put double the amount of insurance on it!!!!

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other

The rate on 40%s isn't as good as on 90%s. I have all good experiences with them though so I recommend them.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rate on 40%s isn't as good as on 90%s. I have all good experiences with them though so I recommend them.

It's still probably better than I am going to get selling them any other way. I just thought I read somewhere that shipping insurance wouldn't cover coins or bullion or something.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
That's probably your best bet, my half-dozen dealings with Provident have been great, as a buyer only.
Craigslist is pathetic; everyone's looking for a give-away, my 40% sat for a month and I ended up selling 25% under melt (needed cash).

Last edited:

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Craigslist brings out a lot of sellers asking the moon and buyers looking for a steal, but I've also seen very fair prices (one guy posts CRH finds at melt) and if you work with the people on there you can get to a good price with the more reasonable people.

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
Last time I shipped I think priority with insurance was a dollar different that overnight with insurance. Faster=less risk

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time I shipped I think priority with insurance was a dollar different that overnight with insurance. Faster=less risk

Awesome, thanks for all the info. If you don't mind me asking, how do you package the coins so they don't rattle?
Of course with my luck I just have to hint at selling some of my silver for the spot price to drop like a rock....... Sorry fellas.

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
I wrapped them in old coinlok bags I had lying around. I wrapped all my rolls, so paper on paper with newspaper or bubblewrap would do the trick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread