All About the Benjamins

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only been searching halves for a short while, so forgive me if this post contains a plethora of ignorance.

I have this fantasy goal of one day completing a full set of Franklin halves entirely from CRH. There's lots of reasons why this is a ridiculous, stupid, unattainable goal. But the naive reasons why I feel it might be remotely possible are:
  1. I see you guys pulling Franklins all the time.
  2. Based on the mintage numbers, there don't seem to be any particularly rare coins in this set.

Granted, I haven't come across a single Ben yet - but I've searched less total boxes so far than TimZim searches in any given week. I see this as a "lifetime goal" type of project - not expecting it to come quickly.

So here are my questions: 1) How often do you find a Benjamin Franklin? Is anyone keeping good stats on this, like 1 in every X boxes? And 2) aside from what the mintage numbers say, are there any Bens that people just. don't. find. in roll searching?

I'd be curious as to what some of you seasoned veterans have to say about this. Is anyone else working (actively or passively) on putting this set together? How many unique ones have you found?

Upvote 0

westkybanded

Sep 9, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since Jan 2012 I have found 73 Franklins... The problem is that there are alot of some years and none of some. Think about trading some of the doubles with other CR hunters to complete the set? Is that cheating? When it comes to grading franklins can be graded Full bell lines or not, which makes it unlikely that you'll find pristine coins. But if all your looking to do is fill a hole... It can be done. Happy hunting.

I sure wouldn't sweat it.

I've got a wheat penny set that I found, bought, traded, etc to fill. Got another about 3/4 full that I'm only filling with dug MD finds. That one will take a while...

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1481733558.366635.jpg

Update: I got my 17th and 18th unique Franklins last night; a 1949-D and a 1954-D. I'm halfway there.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found two 1955 bens since my post in 2013. So i can claim that I've completed two sets. However
i only have one album and don't wanna buy another album.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread