How much could I get?

jasonscoins

Apr 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, I'm primarily a dime hunter. I just like the fact that they're easy to carry, easy to search and easy to dump. Anyway, I've completed a couple of rolls worth of roosevelts and -- assuming the price per ounce of silver is around $24, how much could I realistically expect to get if I took it into a pawn shop, jeweler, etc? I know about ebay, but I hate paying the fees and whatnot. Craigslist is an option I guess, but don't really trust it all that much. I would rather sell to a regular business-type place. So, anybody have experience with selling rolls of dimes?

Upvote 0

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Pawn shops will most likely only offer about half of melt. Even with the fees, you'll make more on ebay. You can also take the plunge and get a charter membership here and sell on tnet. Good luck either way.

ONE OLD CROW

Tenderfoot
Aug 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several places that you can send coins to be smelted. They will smelt it to 999 pure then pay you the going price for silver.I have used Precious metals buyers, smelters, refiners of gold, platinum, silver scrap metals, dental gold scrap, platinum thermocouple wire, crucibles, silver scrap. Gold refiners, platinum scrap buyers, recyclers karat gold jewelry. Sell gold, platinum and sil and have had good results. You can call their number for info. I last sold silver scrap at almost the peak of the silver market. mostly sterling silverware, weighted candle holders with the plaster of paris removed,coins that were very worn,etc. they have charge for their service,reasonable! Gold and silver is measured in troy ounces. they want clean stock. No electrical contacts. regards ...

ONE OLD CROW

Tenderfoot
Aug 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several places that you can send coins to be smelted. They will smelt it to 999 pure then pay you the going price for silver.I have used Precious metals buyers, smelters, refiners of gold, platinum, silver scrap metals, dental gold scrap, platinum thermocouple wire, crucibles, silver scrap. Gold refiners, platinum scrap buyers, recyclers karat gold jewelry. Sell gold, platinum and sil and have had good results. You can call their number for info. I last sold silver scrap at almost the peak of the silver market. mostly sterling silverware, weighted candle holders with the plaster of paris removed,coins that were very worn,etc. they have charge for their service,reasonable! Gold and silver is measured in troy ounces. they want clean stock. No electrical contacts. regards ...

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Jewelers and such will most likely pay half to three-quarters melt. I don't advise selling to a smelter, as I love the old silver coin, and if you sell anywhere else, chances are it won't end up in the crock, but in the hands of a stacker.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not settle for less than 92% of melt value, so $80.

Im with Buffaloboy- id actually go as far as saying you should be able to get at least melt for it- use CL if you do t want to hassle with the ebay fees

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions