Well, this week sucked, but, made some Silver money scrapping!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys, like the title says, this week sucked for CRHing, this was it, 2 40's, both of which were enders in there boxes, seem to be having more of these coming through lately:icon_scratch:, and the 2 1987's you see there, I ordered 2 extra boxes this week also so that was 14 boxes and 2 bags ( $1000 ea.), oh well, there's always next week!:laughing7:

Ok, so some of you know that I run my own Lawn Care Business, this enables me to look for scrap sitting out at the end of peoples driveways or an old washer sitting up by their garage or anything anywhere for that matter when I'm out servicing my accounts. This is what I just randomly picked up this month while out working which was pretty much just divided into Aluminum and Shred ( shred is just your basic metal stuff, grills, metal chairs ect.), I didn't even bring my copper pipes and wire this trip, I'm saving for my next trip next month. I won't go into all the scrapping stuff ( I'm not an expert at all), but I will tell you it pays a lot more to separate your metals, for example, your typical grill you see at the end of someones curb, if you bring that to the scrap yard like it is, you get .08 a pound for it, if you separate the the lid and base ( both cast Aluminum) and knock off anything attached, you get $8.00 for it! Uh, that is easy money there, I pick those up all the time. Anyway, if you look at my receipt you can see the "Cast Alum Clean $10.75", that was for 2 little BBQ's that I split apart in like 5 min at home and added to my load, so here are some picks of what I took into the scrapper this month. Total is on the receipt, I made $323.41, now I can add that to my CRHing fund or just go buy junk Silver with it, and it was FREE MONEY, well, ya know, for the most part, there is some time and effort involved, but you get the picture.

Enjoy the pics, and yes, I love my truck so I got one pic with it pretty much taking up the picture, it is the first brand new vehicle I have ever bought, it was the showroom model (2003 first year they brought back the Hemi) and I got to drive it out of the show room, it was an Awesome day! I have manged to keep the miles down on it, it just turned 60,000 this past week, not bad for being 13 1/2 yrs old. I see some of ya did great this week and had some great boxes, glad for ya guys! HH, Maverick.

Attachments

• DSCN0599.JPG
    DSCN0599.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN0602.JPG
    DSCN0602.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCN0603.JPG
    DSCN0603.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCN0605.JPG
    DSCN0605.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCN0606.JPG
    DSCN0606.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN0589.JPG
    DSCN0589.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCN0590.JPG
    DSCN0590.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCN0591.JPG
    DSCN0591.JPG
    248.6 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCN0592.JPG
    DSCN0592.JPG
    271 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for sharing, Mav. Really interesting reading material. Better luck to you in the CRHing dept.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for sharing, Mav. Really interesting reading material. Better luck to you in the CRHing dept.

Thanks Sleepy, I just figured I'd show the potential for stopping and picking something up for free and taking it and getting money for it, we pass stuff up all the time, I just decided to start picking it up, saving it for a month, and making some extra money for for my CRHing. This may not be feasable for everyone, but maybe for some on here who are trying to get some extra money this may work for them. I can go by some nice junk Silver with this, and really am getting it for less than face value if you look at it that way, I sold something that I picked up for free. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been wanting to get into scraping, but dont really know how to seperate and tell the different metals... Plus I dont have my own truck either, although I do have access to one...

Sucks on the silver this week though! I did real well, Ill prolly get a post up here soon...

HH

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been wanting to get into scraping, but dont really know how to seperate and tell the different metals... Plus I dont have my own truck either, although I do have access to one...

Sucks on the silver this week though! I did real well, Ill prolly get a post up here soon...

HH

Youtube helped me out, there are a ton of vids on it, of course, if some of you remember a Youtube vid is what got me started on CRHing, I was looking for vids on scrapping and a CRHing vid came up, started CRHing the very next day and that was about 2 yrs ago now lol. These once a month runs pay off for me, if I had more time I could make a hell of a lot more scrapping than I do now, thats for sure.

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never would have thought of you as a scrap guy, guess we are pretty alike! I run a heavy equipment rental company. My crew thought I was crazy for cutting damage parts up in 3ft sections. They didn't realize the difference between prepared and unprepared iron. Hopefully your boxes next week will treat you well! I'm ready to see some action pics!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I do the same thing Mav, that's great! Also separate aluminum from cast, siding, and extruded (like window frames). And those old lead-acid batteries add up too.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job Mav, i do the same thing as well, but i go once or twice a year to the junk yard. We drink a lot of soda here so we crush down our empty cans(so we can fit more metal in less space), and once we get 100 pounds or something we scrap those. I think my scrapper is paying $0.59/lb for aluminum cans.

sorry to hear about the rough week! Hopefully next week there is a dream box waiting for you!
HH
Buff

jack584

May 29, 2011
I see that you got some money for some batteries. Were those car batteries or regular alkalines?

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I never would have thought of you as a scrap guy, guess we are pretty alike! I run a heavy equipment rental company. My crew thought I was crazy for cutting damage parts up in 3ft sections. They didn't realize the difference between prepared and unprepared iron. Hopefully your boxes next week will treat you well! I'm ready to see some action pics!

I just started doing it a few months ago, I see this stuff all the time and would pass it up, so one day I decided to see what it would all add up to after stopping and picking it up for about a month, when I saw what I could get out of it, it was a no brainer, it's FREE MONEY! The only thing I don't like is the stock piling it in my back yard till I make my run, nobody sees it, my entire yard is fenced, but I hate looking at it lol. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I do the same thing Mav, that's great! Also separate aluminum from cast, siding, and extruded (like window frames). And those old lead-acid batteries add up too.

Yup, I like it too! For just throwing a few things in my truck and trailer when I see it sitting, separating it, and saving it up for a month I'm pretty happy with the pay off. I grab those car batteries every chance I get, we are limited here to only being able to bring in 2 car batteries a day, but you can bring 2 a day every day if you want. I will continue to do this as it is free money! HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job Mav, i do the same thing as well, but i go once or twice a year to the junk yard. We drink a lot of soda here so we crush down our empty cans(so we can fit more metal in less space), and once we get 100 pounds or something we scrap those. I think my scrapper is paying $0.59/lb for aluminum cans.

sorry to hear about the rough week! Hopefully next week there is a dream box waiting for you!
HH
Buff

Thanks Buff, I have a couple of single ( divorced) friends that drink beer ( kinda a lot) and am trying to get them to save the cans in bags for me, instead of just tossing them in the trash like they do. I only have a beer every now and then and I prefer bottled beer when I have one so I'll never get any cans from my house lol. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I see that you got some money for some batteries. Were those car batteries or regular alkalines?

Hey Jack, they were regular car batteries, they were group 65 batteries ( the bigger ones in f150's and explorers) and I brought in 2 of them. HH, Maverick.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Nice job! You should post on T-net's scrap page as well. There's never enough posts there to suit my taste.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job! You should post on T-net's scrap page as well. There's never enough posts there to suit my taste.[/QUOTE

We have a scrap page? Man, I have got to explore Tnet a bit more lol, I always log to the CRHing forum, thanks FT, I will check that out. HH, Maverick.

hrnewsome

Jun 19, 2013
Awesome! What a great idea - turning scra metal into precious metal!

--------------------------------------

If I don't find silver it's not because I'm not looking!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread