Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooops - Edited my thread, sorry bout that.

Last edited:

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where did you "buy" these from? If you got them from a bank then finding all those foreigns and such its just part of the game along with finding ag and not much you can do except start a foreign coin collection or sale them as a group on CL or ebay or something like that-
if you bought them from someone who said they where all US half dollars id think about contacting them and let them know they sold you foreign coins that arent worth much and see what they say- either way youre probably out the money on those foreigns- welcome to CRH

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alrhough the george shilling I believe is silver as well if im not mistaking

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alrhough the george shilling I believe is silver as well if im not mistaking

On the Numistra coin identifying site it says the George VI shilling up to 1946 was silver. Starting in 1947 & later they are Copper Nickel.

HH
Gary

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some cool finds if you ask me. I'll take the $2 canadian coins over a half dollar any day. Time to start a foreign collection!

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought 700 dollars worth of halfs - These are my finds:

1 - 1967
1 - 1969
1 - 1977 I believe it is an "S" - looks un-circulated
2 - 5 Francs - 1970, 72
1 - 5 Marks 1979
1 - Canada 2 dollar - 1996
1 - Australian 20 - 1979
1 - 50 Forint - 2001
1 - Georgivs shilling - 1948
1 - Baseball token

View attachment 857602

:hello: Welcome to TNET & Coin Roll Hunting (CRH). Dollar wise you pretty much broke even. That's a total of 11 coins. If they were all sold to you as half dollars, that face value of $5.50, the 67 & 69 halfs are 40% silver which are probably worth $2.75 each, the Canadian $2 Dollar coin at todays exchange rate is worth approximately $1.90 American, I couldn't tell you the value of the other coins at this time. I don't believe the 1977 "S" is silver. I don't think it has any extra value. You could try Ebay (FeeBay) or Craigs List but I'm not very familiar with them. You would have to do more research to determine the value of the other coins but I don't think they have much value. How did you buy them? From a bank or from a person who said all the coins were half dollars? From a bank you most likely don't have any recourse. You would need to contact the private person if you bought the coins from them & they told you they were all half dollars.

HH
Gary

Last edited:

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah i'm confused too. Did you buy $700 in halves from the bank? If you did, sadly, most of us would call that a score ;)

SanMartian

Apr 15, 2013
Skunksville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah i'm confused too. Did you buy $700 in halves from the bank? If you did, sadly, most of us would call that a score ;)

Correct. Any silver at face value is a score, IMO... minus gas, time, etc.... Welcome to CRH! Not as fun as digging it up, but more efficient, lol.

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally I'd be very pleased just for the novelty of the score.

Rascal

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better than a skunk, but not by much.

Per CoinFlation.com, the 2 40% halves are worth about $3.43 each at this moment and as mentioned aboved the $2 Canadian is worth just under $2 per the exchange rate. The 1977-S is worth face (or maybe slightly more...if you are lucky). The foreign coins you could probably buy at a coin show in a foreign coin bin for 10/$1 or something like that (just guessing).

So add it up, and you probably are around $10 for the $5.50 showing at best. More or less a wash (or likely worse by the time you add in your gas and time costs). Personally, I don't mind the novelty of the foreign coins, but I enjoy them more when I find them searching cents, nickels, and dimes. :)

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Break-even - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In economics & business, specifically cost accounting, the break-even point (BEP) is the point at which cost or expenses and revenue are equal: there is no net loss or gain, and one has "broken even". A profit or a loss has not been made, although opportunity costs have been "paid", and capital has received the risk-adjusted, expected return. In short, all costs that needs to be paid are paid by the firm but the profit is equal to 0. [1][2]

For example, if a business sells fewer than 200 tables each month, it will make a loss, if it sells more, it will be a profit. With this information, the business managers will then need to see if they expect to be able to make and sell 200 tables per month.

If they think they cannot sell that many, to ensure viability they could:

Try to reduce the fixed costs (by renegotiating rent for example, or keeping better control of telephone bills or other costs)
Try to reduce variable costs (the price it pays for the tables by finding a new supplier)
Increase the selling price of their tables.

Any of these would reduce the break even point. In other words, the business would not need to sell so many tables to make sure it could pay its fixed costs.

200px-CVP-TC-Sales-PL-BEP.svg.png

Break-Even-300x210.png

OP
OP
TheRingFinder

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for your input - I bought the coins from a bank, so no recourse. Not sure if I'll keep doing this or not. This is my second try as I CRH a bag of 400 dollars in dimes and it gave me a splitting headache as my eyes aren't what they used to be.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for your input - I bought the coins from a bank, so no recourse. Not sure if I'll keep doing this or not. This is my second try as I CRH a bag of 400 dollars in dimes and it gave me a splitting headache as my eyes aren't what they used to be.

:hello2: If I read your post right, you were able to buy a bag from a bank for $700. Did you buy the bag off of the machine? The bags on the machines around here hold either $500 or $1000. If a bank is willing to sell you the bag, you have to wait until the bag is filled up before they will sell it to you. The vast majority us on the site aren't able to find a bank that will sell you a bag. Don't give up on bags. You never know when you will get a collection dump. I've seen on the site where people have made great finds from bags. If you're up by the Canadian border, save all your Canadian coins for a trip to Canada. That's what I do even though I'm far from the border.

HH
Gary

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread