proof coins flagged on craigslist

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am really starting to find CL to be worthless. Put up some stuff a few days ago, including $30 face worth of proofs that I pulled from Half Rolls. get nothing but tons of spam and then some guy telling me that they aren't considered proofs once they're out of the wrapper and then flagging my post. ok genius, so what are they called then? do they not have a name now? and thanks for preventing me from selling to nobody, considering nobody is who has responded to any of my ads in the last couple months (except for trolls and spammers, the former which I categorize this man as)

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Proof designates a strike but does not imply a condition. There are circulation (business) strikes and proof strikes. Either of the two strikes can be in varying condition. Some assume that a proof should be perfect/flawless, but that isn't the case. Receiving proofs direct from the Mint in the government packaging, one would be surprised that few of the coins would grade Proof-70. Most would come back as Proof-69. Now, the impaired halves that are commonly found would grade much lower, but it doesn't change the strike of the coin.

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Proof designates a strike but does not imply a condition. There are circulation (business) strikes and proof strikes. Either of the two strikes can be in varying condition. Some assume that a proof should be perfect/flawless, but that isn't the case. Receiving proofs direct from the Mint in the government packaging, one would be surprised that few of the coins would grade Proof-70. Most would come back as Proof-69. Now, the impaired halves that are commonly found would grade much lower, but it doesn't change the strike of the coin.

thank you, this was my thought so it's good to hear I'm not crazy. I replied initially and told him just this, that proof is a type of strike not a condition. He then claimed I was wrong, that a proof has to be in it's wrapper to be considered a proof. I then just deleted the email chain, there's no winning with these people

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, I, too, would back away from a CL ad for raw Proofs though I would not back away from one advertising MS-65 or whatever condition.
Just my opinion .........
Don.....

I would too, but that's because I can find poor condition proofs in boxes all day long. for a non-CRH, this may be a cheap way for them to build up their proof collection. If people don't like mildly circulated proofs I get that, I don't care for them either which is why I'm selling them. But this is a different matter, this guy is flagging my post and harassing me via email because he claims what I'm selling are not proofs. I put up several photos of all the coins in the post so It's not like I'm trying to pass these off as perfect condition in the wrapper

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've noticed that on CL, they also flag buyers that offer near melt or more when advertising to buy silver coins. One way to get rid of the competition.
In years of watching, I have never seen a good deal on CL. More amusing than anything else. Always goofy outrageous prices, at least in my area.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cut, paste, and repost

Cl is full of crazies - but you can still do good business. Flag his emails (Im pretty sure its possible) and contact CL if necessary. OR you can mess with him. The only thing to combat the crazies is to be crazier. Send them a picture of your gun collection and tell them how you are preparing for the zombie apocalypse. Ask them if they would like to come along and hunt squirrels with you. Take it up a few notches, has worked for me a few times. If they send you 3 emails - send them ten! LOL!!!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed that on CL, they also flag buyers that offer near melt or more when advertising to buy silver coins. One way to get rid of the competition.
In years of watching, I have never seen a good deal on CL. More amusing than anything else. Always goofy outrageous prices, at least in my area.

Same here on Craigslist and at flea markets. Not uncommon at all to see common date and condition wheaties in 2x2's with an asking price of $2-$3 each, nearly worn slick 1900's V nickels at $7+, etc etc etc.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I am often plagued with the idiots that want to flag my adds too, typically it is because we are selling our item for a better price, I hate it, and as Joe cool said, cut, paste, repost, I have had to do that for days on end sometime before I could keep my add up long enough to finally sell what ever it was I was selling. Good luck SFB! HH, Maverick.

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
cut, paste, and repost

Cl is full of crazies - but you can still do good business. Flag his emails (Im pretty sure its possible) and contact CL if necessary. OR you can mess with him. The only thing to combat the crazies is to be crazier. Send them a picture of your gun collection and tell them how you are preparing for the zombie apocalypse. Ask them if they would like to come along and hunt squirrels with you. Take it up a few notches, has worked for me a few times. If they send you 3 emails - send them ten! LOL!!!

Dawg this sounds fun

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am often plagued with the idiots that want to flag my adds too, typically it is because we are selling our item for a better price, I hate it, and as Joe cool said, cut, paste, repost, I have had to do that for days on end sometime before I could keep my add up long enough to finally sell what ever it was I was selling. Good luck SFB! HH, Maverick.

do you have to have several people flag your ad before it gets taken down? it looks like mine is still up after the one flag

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cut, paste, and repost

dude this is hilarious!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an issue about a year ago from a person that was flagging ALL my coin related items on there, and come to find out..HE was selling the same shii i was.

CraigsList is a Joke to me anymore...>the only thing i like is when i get the guy from Africa willing to pay 20 times what im asking for..lol...So i do mess with them alot...but now-a-days..everone wants something for nothing...the last thing i listed was "$100 FIRM!"..so i got about 15 emails asking..." Would you take 50"..some even asked if i would take 20.

The thing i like to do now...is go to the "Wanted" section...and type in "Single Mom"...if you do it....watch how many people JUST got widowed, or Hubby left them ...and they are pretty much asking for EVERYTHING..Cars, washers, dryers, sometimes ALL of those at once

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
do you have to have several people flag your ad before it gets taken down? it looks like mine is still up after the one flag

What was happening to me was I wouldn't get a call in a day or 2 so I would check my add and find out it had been flagged and takin down, then I would have to repost it and change a couple of words around so they would hit me with a duplicate post alert. As my Sig says, The world is just full of toooo many freakin Douche Bags anymore, whata ya do though right? I just keep buying more ammo:laughing7:. HH, Maverick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread