type 2 eisenhower - finally found with nice toning!

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here she is folks, the 1972 P type 2 Ike. notice the lack of islands, how florida kind of tapers and points down instead of to the southeast, and the lack of any definition of South America
type 2 eisenhower.jpg type 2 ike.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Niiiiiiice!! I was just looking through about 150 Ikes for varieties last night. Do you keep good condition 1973's?

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey SFB, nice! I have a bunch ?(200) that I need to look through, for a while there I just kept the 72's to look through later and tossing everything else back out, then just started keeping everything I found and tossing them in a big can to look through later, I guess it is later now, I should look through them I guess, I'm sure a good 100 of them are 72's, might be a special one in the bunch. HH, Maverick.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score!! I have yet to find one, but I did hit a bank that had 100 72's, but I couldnt tie up that much, but I did get 40 of them, 4 looked suspicious, but ill have to double check them again with your nice pics... Ive only seen the ebay pics on what it looks like.

HH

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find!

I get ikes all the time.
but cant tell the 72 variety

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey SFB, nice! I have a bunch ?(200) that I need to look through, for a while there I just kept the 72's to look through later and tossing everything else back out, then just started keeping everything I found and tossing them in a big can to look through later, I guess it is later now, I should look through them I guess, I'm sure a good 100 of them are 72's, might be a special one in the bunch. HH, Maverick.

That's funny, pretty much exactly the situation I was in! I had about 250 Ikes or so that I had collected over a few months, and the 1972s I kept tossing in a fish bowl of mine. I wanted to go through the bulk ikes to try and put together BU sets and to go through the 72's for the type 2's but had kept putting it off. finally did it last night and wabam! hope you have some good luck to man

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used this site to locate it because they have great shots of the reverse earth

1972 Eisenhower Dollar Types

the islands are the most prominent difference but there are a few others that you can use to cross check. the type 2 is also high relief like the type 3 but unlike the type 1

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE!!!

I'm just curios , whats a bad boy [ ungraded ] coin of that type in say "Fine 12" going for in today's market. A great Dollar you have there; Congratulations on such a rare find. Davers :thumbsup::headbang::headbang:

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just curios , whats a bad boy [ ungraded ] coin of that type in say "Fine 12" going for in today's market. A great Dollar you have there; Congratulations on such a rare find. Davers :thumbsup::headbang::headbang:

Thanks!!!

I don't think I've ever seen an ike in F-12, most are in the AU to MS range since they circulate so little. I have trouble grading this one, the back looks fantastic but there is a blemish on the front (i will try to post if I remember). The back has a really nice subtle rainbow toning, and if the front were as good as the back I would guess it would grade somewhere in the MS-63 range, but with the blemish maybe MS-60 (all a guess on my part, I am no grading expert or even close).

Based on what I saw on ebay it seems I could get somewhere from $50 - $150 ungraded. Coins like this I always keep, I would much rather sell 1-2 rolls of 40% which are more easly replaceable.

HH and remember to check your ikes! :occasion14:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Thanks!!!

I don't think I've ever seen an ike in F-12, most are in the AU to MS range since they circulate so little. I have trouble grading this one, the back looks fantastic but there is a blemish on the front (i will try to post if I remember). The back has a really nice subtle rainbow toning, and if the front were as good as the back I would guess it would grade somewhere in the MS-63 range, but with the blemish maybe MS-60 (all a guess on my part, I am no grading expert or even close).

Based on what I saw on ebay it seems I could get somewhere from $50 - $150 ungraded. Coins like this I always keep, I would much rather sell 1-2 rolls of 40% which are more easly replaceable.

Most likely, your Ike will grade a low mint state or AU grade. Ike dollars in general suffered from very poor/weak strikes. Consequently, those that do pass muster and garner a high mint state grade, end up selling for moon money.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Nice score!! I have yet to find one, but I did hit a bank that had 100 72's, but I couldnt tie up that much...

You go through 30 boxes in a week, 17 in a day, and you couldn't tie up $100???

I know how it is floating funds from bank to bank, but dude!

???

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!!!

Thanks for the reply /info, Ill keep an eye out for such a coin , for my collection. I would not sell it either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread