I Think I Wanna Cry

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
Was at my weekly Scout meeting last night and one of the boys' dads tells me a sad tale about his daughter - his son's younger sister. They live with his (dad's) mom owing to his lack of a regular job the past 2+ years. Seems grandma has some silver dollars (the real deal, not Ikes) that she has saved for years and years, and the daughter stole some and spent them AT FACE VALUE. He didn't say how many it was but I gathered it was more than a couple. Oh yeah, she's grounded. No phone, no TV, no outside activities, etc, etc. But the loss in real cash value - nevermind that Grandma was savvy enough to stash away some REAL money for a really rainy day - just makes a man wanna cry. Thing is the kid isn't some punk early teenager with an "I deserve it so there" attitude either.

Shaking my head sadly.

Rascal

Upvote 0

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading this thread reminds me of...me. 7 years ago (before I had children) I had great advice for every parent. It was clear to me the style of parenting or the way they went about it just wasn't right. I had the answers if they would just ask.

Then came my baby girl, and 4 years later a boy. Go figure...I didn't know jack. Lots of things sound good in theory...reality is a bit different.

OO

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an Eagle Scout myself, I thought I'd chime in.

Based on a 2010 Baylor university study, Eagle Scouts are (vs non-scouts):

55% more likely to hold a leadership position in the workplace
64% more likely to achieve personal goals
49% more likely to achieve financial goals
90% more likely to be CPR certified
62% more likely to donate time to non-religious charity
76% more likely to hold a leadership position in their community

All of the above apply to me, and regardless of what your small personal sample size tells you, 50, you are completely wrong about Scouting. The majority of Eagle Scouts are not arrogant, entitled people. As for your reference to military, Eagle Scouts are obviously important to the Army: an Eagle Scout entering basic training is entitled to an automatic promotion to Private First Class.

Your ideas on parenting will change one day (if and) when you become one yourself.

DixieLandMan

Sep 18, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, White's MXT, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother in law works at a bank and a year ago an older lady brought in 100 Peace Dollars and Morgans for deposit. My BIL tried to tell her that they were worth more than $100 total but she wanted to deposit them into her checking account.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother in law works at a bank and a year ago an older lady brought in 100 Peace Dollars and Morgans for deposit. My BIL tried to tell her that they were worth more than $100 total but she wanted to deposit them into her checking account.

Dang hope he bought them or called you to buy them- if not dis-own him lol

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
Rascal

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
As an Eagle Scout myself, I thought I'd chime in.

Based on a 2010 Baylor university study, Eagle Scouts are (vs non-scouts):

55% more likely to hold a leadership position in the workplace
64% more likely to achieve personal goals
49% more likely to achieve financial goals
90% more likely to be CPR certified
62% more likely to donate time to non-religious charity
76% more likely to hold a leadership position in their community

Lessee....

Eagle - check
Workplace leadership position - check (12 years as an EMS Director, 3 years as a Charge Nurse)
Personal goals - 50% but I ain't dead yet
Financial goals - about $5 million short but I'm working on it ;-)
CPR certified - 30-odd years and counting. Last used in the non-workplace setting in a Wal-Mart parking lot in June of this year. She survived.
Non-religious charity - 18 years as a Scouter. Have done others as well.
Community leadership - ran for city council, lost to the guy who bought rounds of coffee at the local cafe

This week's upcoming Scout meeting will include a session about CRH'ing for fun and profit and as a lesson in responsibility.

Next month I will pin two new Eagles. The first has an IQ of about 65-70 (measured), has staffed a local summer camp the last 2 years, and can't even spell arrogant. He is trained and certified in wilderness first aid through the ARC and is as gentle as a lamb with the younger kids. He can't be a Marine like his older brother so he chose to achieve in Scouting instead.

The other is likewise a gentle and honest soul and very modest, almost to a fault. He is also a Fire Explorer. He served as an unpaid Counselor-in-Training for 5 weeks last year and this year had a paid staff position for 8 weeks on the black powder range at a large summer camp that attracts boys from literally halfway across the country.

Oh, and they both have Coin Collecting merit badge. One collected foreigns and the other tokens.

Rascal

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not trying to insult the OP at all, if anything is offensive it would be toward the parent of the daughter. The form of so called "discipline" is more like neglect, sealing her off and from the sounds of it not even letting her outside. I don't know about you but when I was a kid, when kids were grounded they had to stay in their homes/yards, heck they could even watch TV. I'm not against discipline, I'm against disciplining for no reason. The supermarket children you speak of are the example of parents who probably discipline in the wrong situation, and didn't in the right.

Also I would like to know what kind of values the scouts instill that you speak of? I have met several "eagle scouts" throughout the course of my life, and I have not met a more entitled bunch of people. Each of the eagle scouts I have met, have had a poor GPA and were very egotistical. Mentioning that you were an eagle scout on a job application or resume for example. Really, if you don't do the hard work, you can't make the grades, and you cannot learn, going through your childhood as a scout does not make up for the areas you do not succeed in. The scouts are not the military(whom I have a great deal of respect, admiration for and who's skills actually are applicable to the real world), which as many eagle scouts think they are just as important. Speaking of values, I don't mean to insult any member, but of course of you have seen the news lately, they obviously lack ethical values (acceptance of ...., I'm not religious but this is despicable for a kids organization to even speak about this let alone accept it!). I'm sorry for letting all this off here, but I had to say it, so you would know where I'm coming from. I'm basing my observation of the scouts, off the end-product of the organization, "eagle scouts". I've met several in higher education, while working, and have even interviewed one. If I had not met a single eagle scout in my life, I would probably be indifferent or even look with a positive light toward the scouts. I know they're are obviously good people in the scouts (take maverick or rascal), and there probably are good eagle scouts who are studious as well, but based on the younger generation of scouts I've encountered through life, their are few and far between.

Sorry to contradict your views on Eagle Scouts not having high gpa's and what not. But I'm an eagle scout with a GPA of 4.18, planning to study at UCSD next year. As for being egotistical, I am a little bit, and I think most Eagles are. But to say we all have low GPA's and things along that line, not necessarily true at all.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
All excellent replies, very valid. Its not the best to over-generalize, like I myself have done. As for leadership and goals they very ambiguous and relative things to include in a study.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to contradict your views on Eagle Scouts not having high gpa's and what not. But I'm an eagle scout with a GPA of 4.18, planning to study at UCSD next year. As for being egotistical, I am a little bit, and I think most Eagles are. But to say we all have low GPA's and things along that line, not necessarily true at all.

4.18 GPA. ::) Things sure have changed. Not to get off on one of those, "When I was a kid I had to walk 47 miles to school everyday and it was uphill...both ways." But, in my day 4.00 was as good as it got. In fact, it took a 100-98 average to get an A for a 4.00. 97-95 was an A- which was a 3.50. 94 was a B+ and a 3.25. You kids sure have it easy these days. :tongue3:

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
4.18 GPA. ::) Things sure have changed. Not to get off on one of those, "When I was a kid I had to walk 47 miles to school everyday and it was uphill...both ways." But, in my day 4.00 was as good as it got. In fact, it took a 100-98 average to get an A for a 4.00. 97-95 was an A- which was a 3.50. 94 was a B+ and a 3.25. You kids sure have it easy these days. :tongue3:
A+'s in addition to A's theortically can raise your GPA this high. Is this 4.18 on a 4.0 scale or a 5 point scale? Either way its really good omega.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
what do you learn from boy scouts / girl scouts ? --you learn not to steal BUT INSTEAD TO WORK AND EARN STUFF IF YOU WANT IT --YOU HAVE TO EARN YOUR BADGES * AND STEALING IN THE SCOUTS IS A HUGE NO NO

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Raised in the country in the 80's was great. never got grounded because we couldn't get into trouble living so far away from town but if we did do something wrong, like in our family big no-no was drinking the last pop in the fridge. Dad always got that, with the exception on occasion, mom got away with it. But Dad had "the look". He would just look at us and god we knew we were in major trouble and ran into our rooms like puppies with our tails between our legs. But now in days kids have the instant give-me-give-me-now! attitudes. I have that on occasion with books but being raised by my parents, I learned to work for my money. So we rode our bikes to nearby farms and picked strawberries for 25 cents a bucket. Not much but we earned that money as 13 years olds. But back to the coins. When I am working, we are on the lookout for suspicious activity. Large amounts of coins returned to the coinstar by tweens, a lot of silverage turned in and old dollar coins. Any time we find them, I get them and hold them for 3 months, after reporting it to the police. If nothing comes up I get to keep the coins. I record all my coinstar finds in my coin book just in case. Never hurts to be careful and due dilengence. I would feel extremely upset if someone stole my silverage.

Sincerely, Garoulady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
oh forgot, that teenager who stole the dollar coins. I would have grounded her with the exception of getting a job, earning enough to buy the same dated dollar coins from the nearest coin shop and give those to her grandmother.

Sincerely, GarouLady

OP
OP
Rascal

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
When I am working, we are on the lookout for suspicious activity. Large amounts of coins returned to the coinstar by tweens, a lot of silverage turned in and old dollar coins. Any time we find them, I get them and hold them for 3 months, after reporting it to the police. If nothing comes up I get to keep the coins. I record all my coinstar finds in my coin book just in case. Never hurts to be careful and due dilengence. I would feel extremely upset if someone stole my silverage.

Ma'am, you are a class act. Personally, in response to your next post, I wish it were possible for the girl to do as you suggested. Alas, owing to distances and the general lack of jobs for kids/teens around this area it's not going to happen.

Rascal

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
you can always have them do lawn work or act as "rent a slaves" for nasty dirty grunt labor * at low wage until she replaced every single last coin that she took -- folks just love "cheap labor" for dirty work esp. when they find out why.

take a piece of poster board to hang around her neck on a string-- put on it " need work -- will do any work / cheap must repay grandma for coins I took from her".--put her in a "high traffic" area and --"pimp her labor out" non stop till its repaid.

shaming kids like this --today is worse than "beating them" --a beating its over and done with --shame last a long long time.

Last edited:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

Our weighted GPA is a 5.00 maximum, and our regular GPA is a 4.00 maximum.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
The best in our school was a 4 point. Alas the only 4 point I ever got was in college computer website design. and I had to hand type the whole website in TXT program. Like the idea of making the young teenager stand with a sign and doing manual labor. Heck if anyone has fruit trees, have her pick the fruit for the owner with permission. The fruit if not used can be donated to a food pantry, showing the young lady some humility on top of work.

Sincerely, Garoulady

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread