I Think I Wanna Cry

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
Was at my weekly Scout meeting last night and one of the boys' dads tells me a sad tale about his daughter - his son's younger sister. They live with his (dad's) mom owing to his lack of a regular job the past 2+ years. Seems grandma has some silver dollars (the real deal, not Ikes) that she has saved for years and years, and the daughter stole some and spent them AT FACE VALUE. He didn't say how many it was but I gathered it was more than a couple. Oh yeah, she's grounded. No phone, no TV, no outside activities, etc, etc. But the loss in real cash value - nevermind that Grandma was savvy enough to stash away some REAL money for a really rainy day - just makes a man wanna cry. Thing is the kid isn't some punk early teenager with an "I deserve it so there" attitude either.

Shaking my head sadly.

Rascal

Upvote 0

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what do you learn from boy scouts / girl scouts ? --you learn not to steal BUT INSTEAD TO WORK AND EARN STUFF IF YOU WANT IT --YOU HAVE TO EARN YOUR BADGES * AND STEALING IN THE SCOUTS IS A HUGE NO NO
My daughter tried the girl scouts when she was about 8. A lot of petty jealousy amoung the girls and the mothers too. They didn't do much of anything except push cookies so we took her out. She loved animals so we joined the 4H (I say we because parents are encouraged to attend the meetings with their child) She was in 4H for 9 or 10 years. It was the best thing for her. She learned public speaking, raised two lambs & worked with horses. She is now 22 and has graduated from a 4 year university as a veterinary science major and for the next two years is at a college that teaches how to run a zoo and train exotic animals.

The girl scouts could never have done that. But where it not for the 4H she might be flipping burgers today.

littlebear

Jul 24, 2006
Elgin Texas
Detector(s) used
white 5900/DI Pro
Garrett GTA 1000 ultra
I read everybodys point of view but Stealing is Stealing weather it from a family member a friend or someome they dont evan know its still the same thing no mater who you try to say where the problem started its still stealing.Ive have silver stolen stole from me and I dont give a dam whos faught it was it still was gone and Ill never be able to replace it it is what it is

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sigh, problee can't find it in most schools anymore.

You are right. I think our school district stopped it 20-30 years ago. Our 4H is sponsored by a rural town about 6 miles away. Some people drive 50 miles to attend. It is a real good group.

The next school district over does FFA. A good thing about the teacher that runs the Agruculture/FFA department at that high school. He was a high school kid in my daughters 4H club when she joined.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the dad would have asked her where she sold them and he could have went there and got them back. If the person in the store would refuse to give them back he /she could get into trouble for receiving stolen goods. Because it is against the law to receive stolen goods, and I am sure the person in the store new they was stolen as they are not normal coins.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
sad but true most silver "in the wild" gets there these days thru death or theft --granny or gramps dies and some dummy relative cashes out their coin collection at the bank for "paper folding money" or else someone swipes their coin collection and spends it at face value -- silver coin collectors know the silver value and if up tight cash wize would get the full value out of them at a coin store / silver buyer

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
well girls scout do push "cookies" but boy scouts (at least when I was in them) didn't -- I earned my 50 miler badge the hard way by hiking for a week straight (averaging 7 to 8 miles a day ) carrying all my food , water and gear (tent and all equiptment) on my back (some scout master let their scouts take the easy way by doing a canoe float trip* for the 50 miles--mine did not you had to "earn it" thru sweat and effort with him )-- we were taught to act as "honorable" young men (stealing would have got you kicked out of the troop *)--sadly I have heard things are not the same as when I was a scout.

Last edited:

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did you find out where she spent them? you gotta find those puppies and add 'em to your stack!

OP
OP
Rascal

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
I earned my 50 miler badge the hard way by hiking for a week straight (averaging 7 to 8 miles a day ) carrying all my food , water and gear (tent and all equiptment) on my back (some scout master let their scouts take the easy way by doing a canoe float trip* for the 50 miles-

Actually, Ivan, the 50-Miler is Afoot/Afloat. I have one of each, the first earned at Philmont in 1972 and the other in Ontario in 1974. Different types of trials, believe me.

Rascal

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yes but the 50 mile "afloat" is the el cheapo one --the 50 mile afoot is much tougher--since you must hump all your gear on your back

OP
OP
Rascal

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
Try portaging. A backpack is far easier to manage than a 17-ft. canoe amidst trees and brush. Never mind a second (or third) trip for the gear itself. As I said, I have done both.

Rascal

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
a well planned 50 mile canoe "float" trip should have "0" portaging

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canoeing is easier that backpacking. That is all.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
todays govt -- along with parents and kids fault --good teaching if minded would have stopped the stealing before it occurred -- you see I knew that a massive grade A ass whipping would befall me if I took anything that did not belong to me * ( I knew this for a fact because once at about age 8 -- I wanted a $3 pack of plastic army men at the local drug store my mom shopped at about 3 blocks from our home , my mom told me no ,not right now , that money was tight . long story short , my mom told me to put them back ,instead when I went to put them back , I shoved them under my shirt --yep I stole em * later on at home mom came outside to call me in for dinner and saw me "playing" with them --she made me gather them up --put them back in their bag --and hold them in my arms --she then got a belt and grabbed me by the hair of my head -- and beating me upon my legs, butt and back the entire 3 blocks to the store -- and made me scream at the top of my lungs --"I'm a thief , I 'm a no good dirty low down thief " over and over again * --once at the store she made me go to the owner and admit that I stole from him and say that I was sorry --mom paid for the soldiers and told him to keep them and that since I was a untrustworthy thief that I was not to be allowed in his store without her with me * my mother then beat me all the way home all 3 blocks again yelling "I'm a theif" the whole way --I was black and blue from that brutal beating for a week --but I never again stole a damn thing since then . ----sadly my mother, if she did today what she did then would be arrested for child abuse

Last edited:

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4.18 GPA. ::) Things sure have changed. Not to get off on one of those, "When I was a kid I had to walk 47 miles to school everyday and it was uphill...both ways." But, in my day 4.00 was as good as it got. In fact, it took a 100-98 average to get an A for a 4.00. 97-95 was an A- which was a 3.50. 94 was a B+ and a 3.25. You kids sure have it easy these days. :tongue3:

O is referring to his "Weighted GPA" not his regular "GPA". Honors courses will get you 1/2% more of the standard GPA. I.e. a grade of an "A" equates to 4.5 instead of a normal weighted class grade of 4. A dual enrollment class/Advanced Placement with get you 1% more of the standard GPA.
I.e. a grade of an "A" equates to 5 instead of a normal weighted class grade of 4. Funny because colleges really care less about the weighted, they always want the "Un-Weighted" GPA sent for consideration of enrollment.

Confusing but I hope this helps.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea things have changed, grade inflation is ridiculous.

You get extra points basically because it's a hard class...I wish that worked all the time for me in high school!

But then there's the real world, and you don't get extra points for showing up...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was at my weekly Scout meeting last night and one of the boys' dads tells me a sad tale about his daughter - his son's younger sister. They live with his (dad's) mom owing to his lack of a regular job the past 2+ years. Seems grandma has some silver dollars (the real deal, not Ikes) that she has saved for years and years, and the daughter stole some and spent them AT FACE VALUE. He didn't say how many it was but I gathered it was more than a couple. Oh yeah, she's grounded. No phone, no TV, no outside activities, etc, etc. But the loss in real cash value - nevermind that Grandma was savvy enough to stash away some REAL money for a really rainy day - just makes a man wanna cry. Thing is the kid isn't some punk early teenager with an "I deserve it so there" attitude either.

Shaking my head sadly.

Rascal

Someone may have had their Coin roll Hunting improve because of it :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread