Presidential dollars.....

Smithrow1

Aug 2, 2006
I'm not going to save them they are going to make so many. Just like the quarters. I would rather have a coin with 250,000 mintage then one with 250 million mintage.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
They're going to be even less collectable than the Susan B's or Sacagawea's, with new ones coming out four times a year, IMHO.

All it may do is make the Ike's more valuable, as they'll now be one more iteration away from the latest incarnation of dollar coin.

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to my bank today, have been with this bank 20 years. Ask for a box of the Presidential coins. They would only give me one roll.
So, I went to a bank that I don't deal with, and ask for the coins, The nice lady with a smile
sold me 20 rolls.
Thinking about switching banks.
Going to just hold on to the coins.

Clayton Ramey

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just another coin that I don't really see any point to collecting.

The only people that will collect them are the same people who went nuts over Beanie Babies and other garbage like that and fell into the hype of something new that would be worth lots of money some day.

I don't get the appeal of state quarters either.

But that's just me.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTT......................

I do promote the usage of them and will gladly dig them out of the ground while metal detecting! :)

OP
OP
scotto

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Here's a pic of a couple I got today........

Attachments

• anewdollars.jpg
    anewdollars.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 432
OP
OP
scotto

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
They are about the same size as the Sac's, and on the flat edges is the date/mm, and "E Pluribus Unum" and "In God we trust."

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Presidential coins may very well not ever be worth more than a dollar..or
Makes no differance to me. I happen to have a few dollars I could spend, So I ordered
a box ($1.000) that will be in on Wensday.
The way I look at it is a dollar is a dollar. I will put them in the safe. That will be a little nest egg..
The coins would be to much of a nuisance to spend a lot of them at one time.
Buuut if I keep the paper money I'd just spend it on boose and woman (not really) Ya
So, I can save the coins for a rainy day.

Clayton Ramey

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006
How ugly nearly all modern coinage seems. All the state quarters, in addition to having that characteristic dull, clay-colored cast of all clad coins, look like play money, as does the new dollar. On it, Washington appears to have a terrible case of dyspepsia - he looks as if he's about to throw up. I agree with BScofield6 - I don't understand the appeal of any of these issues, and I predict they will have no value in the future. I confess I do like the lettered edge of the new dollar, however, as it's very retro. I am fortunate to have inherited an original St. Gaudens double eagle, with a lettered edge. How elegant, how exquisite the old coin designs were. The last finely wrought designs were, in my opinion, Weinman's winged liberty (mercury) dime and walking liberty half dollar, and McNeil's standing liberty quarter, although we know that it wore down too quickly to be practical. The obverse of Frasier's buffalo nickel is also wonderful, but the buffalo's head on the reverse looks too much like a bearded old man. It should have been modified. I also have some affection for the Jefferson nickel designed by Schlag, but only the original design makes the grade. The original lettering is different, and the depiction of Monticello on the reverse is brilliantly art deco, entirely different from what was ultimately approved. FDR objected to Schlag's original design, which was consequently changed, and not for the better. The July 2006 issue of Coins magazine has an article about the Jefferson nickel, with the ur-designs shown. You'll see what I mean.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do agree with silverfinder that the edges are much cooler to have on there, but all in all I guess I just don't see the point in a coin that won't get any usage outside of people who will hoard them.

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
Hope they screw up just a few...like the "speared buffalo" to make searching them fun! ;D Many of the US coins of the past were small, pocket sized, works of art...It's a shame some of the old designs aren't resurrected. The Silver Eagle was on the right track!

Attachments

• SilverEagleObv.jpg
    SilverEagleObv.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 316

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread