HUNTING FOR $.50 GEMS....

NC_Andrew

Sep 24, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had both great luck and bad luck when searching halves from the bank. Here is something to know....since people don't typically use halves, most banks will not have professionally sealed, in paper, paper rolls. I bank with Bank of America and they require me to place an order of at least $500 and the rolls come from companies that handle great deals of cash like Brinks or Fargo. The $.50 coins are literally placed in a huge container and mechanically sorted into rolls meaning that many silvers and .40% silver coins are in the mix. While it may sound expensive to "purchase" $500 worth of halves....just remember that even if you don't find a single silver you can simply re-roll the coins and turn them back to your back account. Doesn't cost a thing!

My first time I found 2 Franklins, 4 1964 Kennedy's and 3 1965-1970 .40% silvers. My second lot was quite odd as I pulled 19 .40% silver halves and only 1 1964 Kennedy. Third time I didn't pull a single coin and I am thinking that "the powers that be" are finding ways to separate regular coins from the silver ones based on weight. On my 4th try I only pulled 2 .40 silver halves.

Well....it's a treasure hunt. Again....there really is NO risk. If you don't find anything you can always turn back the $500 and re-order a new lot. What does it hurt to try?

Upvote 0

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had both great luck and bad luck when searching halves from the bank. Here is something to know....since people don't typically use halves, most banks will not have professionally sealed, in paper, paper rolls. I bank with Bank of America and they require me to place an order of at least $500 and the rolls come from companies that handle great deals of cash like Brinks or Fargo. The $.50 coins are literally placed in a huge container and mechanically sorted into rolls meaning that many silvers and .40% silver coins are in the mix. While it may sound expensive to "purchase" $500 worth of halves....just remember that even if you don't find a single silver you can simply re-roll the coins and turn them back to your back account. Doesn't cost a thing!

My first time I found 2 Franklins, 4 1964 Kennedy's and 3 1965-1970 .40% silvers. My second lot was quite odd as I pulled 19 .40% silver halves and only 1 1964 Kennedy. Third time I didn't pull a single coin and I am thinking that "the powers that be" are finding ways to separate regular coins from the silver ones based on weight. On my 4th try I only pulled 2 .40 silver halves.

Well....it's a treasure hunt. Again....there really is NO risk. If you don't find anything you can always turn back the $500 and re-order a new lot. What does it hurt to try?

HaHa Yes that is Exactly what Coin Roll Hunting is...LOL. Most people on here search alot more than $500 a week. No companies are seperating out silver coins, sometimes (MOST times) you just get skunked.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over four boxes your finds are still well above average - I assume you are hooked now!

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the coin roll hunters section- I think we all pretty familiar with how it works- ya theres the occasional newbie who asks whats crh or what are boxes-
Not trying to be rude- your post sounded like an infomercial for the 5 magic words
Lol
Anyways like already posted they dont sort silver out with the machines- its just some boxes are good and have silver but most dont- people ha e been doing this for decades and the more that start the less we will all find-
Hope you keep finding HH

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just wait until you hit that 30th box in a roll and still no silver. You ask do I order 2 more and you say sure why not I just may get lucky.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just wait until you hit that 30th box in a roll and still no silver. You ask do I order 2 more and you say sure why not I just may get lucky.

Or your 92nd box of skunks lol

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I get like 28ish boxes a week, usually dont find more than a few, I know I'll hit a good week soon enough, now its just a waiting game.

Computer Jones

Oct 23, 2012
The Great Pacific North Wet. (I can see Canada whe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, there you go! What a nice and fun game it is.
The first rule is search more faster.
The second rule is please don't paint the ones you give back, it's much better to punch a hole in them with a nail and a hammer.

Tipton

Aug 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No silver in my first box but did get a gold one. 24k gold plate bicentennial.
image.jpg

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, there you go! What a nice and fun game it is.
The first rule is search more faster.
The second rule is please don't paint the ones you give back, it's much better to punch a hole in them with a nail and a hammer.

Haha I only know of one person who paints the coins, do you guys in other areas come across a lot of painted coins as well?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions