Need Help for Simple Penny Sorter (With IGT Hopper + Comparator)

Goody Green

Oct 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello there :unhappysmiley:. I'm new to this forum; I ended up here because of my google quest to learn how to make an automatic copper penny sorter. I've tracked down this post which lead me on the right path http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/232133-coin-sorters-more-pics-added-6-26-11-a.html

But I'm at sort of a dead end.. User kb4iqm seems to be inactive now. And this other user, named madwest, took down much of his information including his video on youtube of his sorter. Madwest claimed that he had his rig set up for ~$65. I'm not interested in buying a $500+ ryedale or whatever it is, and I'm sure most people won't have that kind of cash to invest.

So I'm requesting that someone with knowledge to help, not only me, but others who would like to get to sorting efficiently and effectively, setup a simple buy list which will produce a simple, effecient, cost effective copper penny sorter.

The economy is getting rockier as QE has no apparent end, so let's share this wealth of knowledge with as many people we can while there's still time. I matain a blog that features financial, economic, and political topics on Goody Green, and I will be featuring much of this threads results to my viewers and followers.

To be a little more clear, I'd like to know every basic component that must be purchased, glued, saudered, and put together.

Personally, I already own a comparator, but please make suggestions as others might be starting from scratch.

From there, the post I've been reading in the past reccomended to buy an upright IGT Nickel S2000 hopper (here's a sample listing on eBay IGT S2000 Nickle Hopper with Coin Head More of Rudys Blow Out Deals | eBay.) In the post I mentioned earlier, the participants left the viewers in the dark in terms of what powered the hopper. How do you power such a hopper?

The next step would be in obtaining a 10 cent wheel and replacing the 5 cent one. I'm having trouble spotting one of these on eBay. If you know of a seller who is currently supplying these, please share it in this thread. I will be updating a supplier list on my blog.

And lastly, what can you reccomend for the chute? I've seen hot wheel tracks taped together and etc. But ideas are welcome here aswell.

I know this is a lot to ask, especially since I'm a new member. But your knowledge is very much appreciated. I look forward to your replies. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Goody Green

Oct 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. My thread was approved and posted! Doing a quick bump.. Hopefully someone out there can share their wealth of knowledge. Thanks in advance; I look forward to your reply. :thumbsup:

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goody -
You can check out my posts on this topic and share my frustration in getting my rig up and running. You will need the comparitor, the hopper, a separate 12v dc "wall wart" for each (I found mine at salvation army for 99cents each) and the shelf wheel. You will also need a gram scale, a bobby pin, glue, a huge bunch of patience, and one of those corrugated plastic signs that adorn lawns for candidates and contractors.
1. strip the end of the wall wart wires. Use a meter to test which wire is the positive. mark it.
2. attach the wall wart wire to the appropriate wires on the hopper. Plug it in and see if it revolves.
3. Go to a machine shop with the nickel shelf wheel, and tell him that that you want one exactly the same, but the diameter has to be 5-7/8, not 5-5/8. This will cost you a small fortune. You will almost never find one of these on ebay. You may occasionally find a dime comparitor on ebay, though. I missed one last year.
4. Remove the counterweight from the comparitor (not the plastic L shaped thingee, but only the metal part) Glue in that hole a bobby pin which you have trimmed to 7 gm. let dry. Reinstall.
5. wire comparitor carefully to thge wall wart. Before you do ANYTHING, print out the instruction manuals from CMI for your model, read and reread. You don't want to short it out.
6. Fashion the plastic corrugated sign and cut it up and fashion it so that the coins emerge from the top of the hopper, fall down the chute into the comparitor.
7. And VOILA. Well, not quite. You need to put a good shape silver dime into the comparitor and keep fiddling around till the clad gets rejected and the silver gets accepted.

Frankly, my #2 son and I spent a huge amount of time on this project last year and other family emergencies came up and I haven't finished it (but I intend to do so this month). The whole setup is in the basement, but I don't know how to post photos on here, and I'm tired and not very explicit at this time of night. To be continued.

OP
OP
G

Goody Green

Oct 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow... Thanks for the in depth walkthrough. I'll have to do some shopping and a little homework to apply what you've told me. I look forward to your future replies and advice. Additional input from others is also appreciated. I'll keep you updated with my progress.

Cheers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread