Best score of my life from a bank- not sure I even believe it!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the local credit union today at lunch. They kind of got tired of seeing me last winter, I guess I was a bother getting halves. I don't search coins much, just too busy. But today, I had an itch to look thru some coins. The teller didn't have any halves, I asked if they had any in the back (as in a box) or a box of dimes. He went back and came back in a few minutes. Said no halves but they had $300 in dimes. They had to be "verified", which means customers brought them in and they had to open the rolls and COUNT THEM. Also they had a few, maybe 10 of the "big dollars". I thought I didn't want to stay here all day, so I told them I'd take $100 In dimes and the big dollars. I thought great, more ugly Eisenhower dollars, as I don't think they're especially attractive. It took over 20 minutes. I got the coins, only had a few minutes to get back to work before I was officially late back from lunch. Paid them and glanced at the big dollars, I off handedly remarked, boy they're dirty. Got to the car and....and....and...

Six Eisenhowers. Only 5 are pictured, the other fell on the floor, will retrieve it shortly. And these...... IMG_0445.JPG IMG_0446.JPG IMG_0447.JPG They have black spots but the detail especially on the Morgans is unbelievable. All the hair is there, the ear is distinct, LIBERTY is crisp.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what I have for 2013 so far from banks (loose) or CRH: 6 Ike's all circulated. I just decided to keep them. 2 Roosevelts, 1 Merc, 3 liberty walking halves, 7 Franklins, 9 40% Kennedys, 3 '64 Kennedys, 1 liberty seated half, five Morgan dollars and 5 Peace dollars. Still hard to believe somebody just took the dollars to the bank.....Didn't look for quarters and I have no cents. har har. Got about a dozen Euro type coins from a coin counting machine. I dug: 3 silver quarters, 2 Roosevelts, numerous wheat pennies, 2 silver rings (18th century) and a gold coin (1774). I went through at least $4k in halves (the same $500 at a time over and over and over) and 5 boxes of dimes. Dimes were pretty sparse. Most of my stuff I got within the last 4 weeks.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I used some light soap and water and got loose whatever off them, but I guarantee I didn't use any abrasive. Not going to dip them, just leave them as they are. It seems expensive to have a coin graded. Suggestions?

I wouldn't bother with slabbing them TBH. The only candidates are the 21 & 28 Peace. They are fine raw, and saves you grading fees. I'd only get high grade unc ones slabbed, some are worth a ton of $$$ in high MS gra des, but that's not what you've got.

You done good for sure! No need to slab unless you just want to.

Congrats again!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry it took so long. I finally got the digital microscope to work. I had to get a little notebook out of the closet I used to use the thing on exclusively. Anyway, the 1928 clearly has no mintmark. The closeup is extreme. Thanks for the interest. 1928.jpg

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was reading in the "redbook" about the "cartwheel effect" you have when you "spin" a coin to the light, It looks like spokes on a wheel. This coin still has that effect even with the black oxidation. I ASSUME I should NOT clean it, right?

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I was reading in the "redbook" about the "cartwheel effect" you have when you "spin" a coin to the light, It looks like spokes on a wheel. This coin still has that effect even with the black oxidation. I ASSUME I should NOT clean it, right?

Don't clean it! I would only recommend a light dipping from someone who knows what they are doing. Even then it may not be a good candidate for that if the tarnish is too deep. Bottom line. Leave it as is unless you find a pro to evaluate. Still an awesome find even with the tarnish!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got the digital microscope working. Here's the 1928. 1928.jpg

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Acetone is your fiend in this instance. Do not use Jewelry dip at all.

The difference between and raw coin and a coin that has been entombed is worth far more than the 30 or so dollars to have it graded.
The coin looks porous to me. The rim with the indentation all the way around would lead me to believe it could be fake.

I would take it to a coin shoppe and have them look at it asap.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took it to the big Whitman show in Baltimore yesterday. The dealers liked it and suggested to send it to that one grading company in Florida (PNG), and have it conserved and graded. They can "clean" it without removing value, but the one dealer said leave it alone -- $300-400 as is, if the cleaning goes bad it would only be worth $150. I don't sell my stuff anyway, so it is just going to stay put. No cleaning. Just looking at it. After all, it only cost $1. I still can't believe twice in the last 30 days now I have gotten Morgans and Peace dollars from local banks. Go figure. Today I found a 14k man's ring with a diamond in my BASEMENT. Apparently it was my uncle's, he died and I just found the thing in a basket of stuff. I had seen it once before and thought it was junk. Stamped 14K. Also dug another Confederate bullet today in a 1 hour hunt accompanied by a 1 hour BS session with the landowner's wife. I wanted to MAKE SURE it was ok to dig. So she showed me (within 100') of where she saw a meteor land about 10 years ago. That hunt is for Saturday. If it's a stony meteorite, forget it, but if nickel iron, it shall be mine!

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow congrats man-

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took it to the big Whitman show in Baltimore yesterday. The dealers liked it and suggested to send it to that one grading company in Florida (PNG), and have it conserved and graded. They can "clean" it without removing value, but the one dealer said leave it alone -- $300-400 as is, if the cleaning goes bad it would only be worth $150. I don't sell my stuff anyway, so it is just going to stay put. No cleaning. Just looking at it. After all, it only cost $1. I still can't believe twice in the last 30 days now I have gotten Morgans and Peace dollars from local banks. Go figure. Today I found a 14k man's ring with a diamond in my BASEMENT. Apparently it was my uncle's, he died and I just found the thing in a basket of stuff. I had seen it once before and thought it was junk. Stamped 14K. Also dug another Confederate bullet today in a 1 hour hunt accompanied by a 1 hour BS session with the landowner's wife. I wanted to MAKE SURE it was ok to dig. So she showed me (within 100') of where she saw a meteor land about 10 years ago. That hunt is for Saturday. If it's a stony meteorite, forget it, but if nickel iron, it shall be mine!

NGC in Sarasota. PNG is a basement grader on E-Bay

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently I haven't sent any coins anywhere to be graded!:laughing7:

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey
First off-nice score-you're having a good year all around.
Meteorite-a stoney iron will still register and be different then a hot rock. Bring a camera also-if there is visible evidence of an impact (and you record it) it will increase the value. Ask the owner if she knows the date that it fell. Sometimes that info can be traced back to the actual source of the fall. I bet you find it.
I enjoyed meeting & talking with you at lewes & CB back in March.
continued-Good luck

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you more good luck on your Meteorite hunt . A meteorite is on my needs list.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been awhile. I did remove some of the black with acetone, still has some. Sent it to PCGS and got it back three days ago, and (of course) they kinda noticed it was cleaned, but before cleaning it was a train wreck so they classified it as Genuine AU details. Happy dance. All for $1.00 at a bank. Plus the grading service.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll try to get a pic later today of it slabbed.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still fumbling trying to get pics...

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fumbled and punted the pic. Here it is. Looks much better. Now has eye appeal. 1928.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread