what to do with my pre-60 nickels?

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys i've got about 30ish rolls of pre-60 s and i kind of want to get rid of them. Ebay is my first thought so what do you think a fair price for them is. Obviously the guys listing them for $9 a roll arent making any money because they arent selling any. I'm thinking a bid starting at $3 per roll and buy it now at $3.99. Do you think this will be sold easily?

Upvote 0

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
About a year ago, I saw a box of $100.00 worth sell for $199.99 with free shipping.

Personally I think they are useless except for the key dates. Reason being, people like wheats because of the different reverse design. That's all. With nickels you still get the same Monticello reverse. Just my 5 cents.

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a lot of pre-1960's on ebay sell for about $70 a while back, at what seemed like a fairly decent profit. The catch was that the guy put his silver war nickels (about 20 or so, if I remember correctly) in with the rest of the lot. I think he got more that way than he would have by selling them in two separate lots. That's what I'm planning on doing soon; I'll let you all know how it works out.

OP
OP
B

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah ive gone through them and found a couple key dates. Reasonably graded theyre worth about a total of $10 according to a 2010 redbook

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally, I keep 3 of every date and mint of pre-1960 Jeffersons and pre-1959 Lincolns. (Not interested in currently-circulated coins under 50 years old.) The best of each date and mint go into my collection, the others go into rolls with the thought that it would give a young relative, or two, a nice start on a collection some day. The thousands of others with such dates I've come across over the years go back into circulation.

Last edited:

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Just saw a lot of $200 on eBay sell for 355. So you may actually be able to make money off those nickels lol

foundinrolls

Jun 6, 2006
People don't care about the albums unless you sell a complete set. Nickels are so flat now that they have very little worth over face at all. If you haven't searched through therm for doubled dies or repunched Minmarks, try selling them as a lot of 100 unsearched coins. If you have searched through them, then deposit them in the bank. By the time you've figured gas and your time into the equation, you'll lose money big time. Just my two cents worth:-)

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really only searching nicks now for pure amusement - to try to complete my set. I need the 38s and 45d. Once I find them, I'll prob give up on nicks forever. There is barely any financial motivation to search them for me. I find less than 1 war nick per box and war nicks are only worth about $1.23. Throw in time & gas & it's not worth it.

Will45

Sep 1, 2013
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd check them for rare varieties. You would want to keep the wartimes and anything pre-39. I'd take the rest to the bank for face value.

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should just do a buy it now auction for them all as a whole. It would be cheaper to ship them all at once (you won't get burned on the shipping that way).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread