Prez dollars, error??

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
I just picked up a few of the new president dollars for fun but I noticed the writing on the rims are diffrent in position and on one the lettering is facing the reverse and on the other it's facing the obverse. Is this an error?

update---
I just found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-D-Washingt...088432138QQihZ016QQcategoryZ524QQcmdZViewItem
Doesn't say if it's really an error or not but it did sell for $15.05 if that's not just an ebay fluke then let the prez crhing begin!

Upvote 0

Joliet Jake

May 10, 2005
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I hope it IS an error, since my roll of Washington Dollars were incised 13 up and 12 down. I guess they roll press the edges after the coins are stamped.

Stupid government can't get anything right.

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
This is what I've been told: The collars on the circulation strikes are NOT positioned any particular way during the striking of the dollar coins. In other words, "E Pluribus Unum" can appear at any place on the edge. Doesn't really matter. After all, the Mint is striking who-knows-how-many of these token-like coins. They can't all be winners, and speed is important. Only the proof strikes will be positioned with precision. As for the coins without anything on the edge, your guess is as good as mine. Ideal for CRHing perhaps? (probably not---how many of us are hunting for manganese?) For what it's worth, I like the idea of a dollar coin, but the Mint just keeps embarassing itself, especially with lame designs and lamer marketing. It's hard to take the coins or the Mint seriously these days.

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
I purchased10 rolls today,and I'm getting between 10-15 upside down lettering,I also went to the US MINT website,It talks about the side lettering,can be anywhere,on the side,All coins being shown,have lettering facing George Washington,It seem's like the mint would have printed these coins in one direction,unless this was intentional,to generate interest from public,since all other dollar coin, have failed,Susan B Anthony.Just my theory.Ronald99 ???

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
It seems like the largest majority of "error coins" come out of the Philadelphia Mint over the years. Surely their quality control can't continuously be that bad. IMO they are doing it intentionally to keep people interested in looking for errors and rarities.Maybe I'm wrong, have been before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions