Apmex vs provident

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats nice to know. If i ever want to sell and upgrade ill take it to provident. Ill have to ask about 40%s though.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've bought some coins from apmex in the past and they threw in 2 1-oz silver bars in the mix because the shipping was delayed a few days, it was a mistake on their part but they made up for it. I have been buying from them for 5+ years now and never had a complaint, in fact I wouldn't have realized that the shipment was delayed if it weren't for the letter inside the package. BTW this was when silver was around $37/oz.
I would recommend apmex to anybody.

mr.landpirate

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've bought some coins from apmex in the past and they threw in 2 1-oz silver bars in the mix because the shipping was delayed a few days, it was a mistake on their part but they made up for it. I have been buying from them for 5+ years now and never had a complaint, in fact I wouldn't have realized that the shipment was delayed if it weren't for the letter inside the package. BTW this was when silver was around $37/oz.
I would recommend apmex to anybody.

Thanks that's good to know. HH LP.

Mtldealer

May 8, 2012
District 12, SouthWest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a forum online to sell/buy from like minded CRH... Shipping can be a killer. I buy and sell a lot on a couple of other forums and highly recommend it. Just my 2 copper pennies.

OP
OP
cdickrun64

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buff, I was referring to the price that apmex and provident are paying for silver, not what they are selling at.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a forum online to sell/buy from like minded CRH... Shipping can be a killer. I buy and sell a lot on a couple of other forums and highly recommend it. Just my 2 copper pennies.
+1
Buff, I was referring to the price that apmex and provident are paying for silver, not what they are selling at.

Provident and APMEX pay wholesale when they buy and charge retail when they sell. That's because they are dealers.

Like Mtld says: If you sell to the end buyer, you can get more than wholesale (but don't plan on getting full retail).

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell local via craigslist and buy from my LCS. After factoring no loss on selling, no shipping, and no worrying about shipping, I come out ahead even though the premiums at the LCS are higher than provident. If I want to convert electronic fiat to gold I've used provident with no issues.

I'm curious, why do some of you ship your silver off to loose on both ends of the transaction, plus shipping..?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I sell local via craigslist and buy from my LCS. After factoring no loss on selling, no shipping, and no worrying about shipping, I come out ahead even though the premiums at the LCS are higher than provident. If I want to convert electronic fiat to gold I've used provident with no issues.

I'm curious, why do some of you ship your silver off to loose on both ends of the transaction, plus shipping..?
It may have something to do with the comfort factor. Craigslist - buy/sell at your own risk.

The few times I've sold on Craigslist, my silver has sat for weeks and sold way below spot.(40% halves).

Last edited:

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may have something to do with the comfort factor. Craigslist - buy/sell at your own risk.

The few times I've sold on Craigslist, my silver has sat for weeks and sold way below spot.(40% halves).

OK, I understand this. Mine sat for some time but in the end sold for a little over spot. I meet them in my bank where the manager and tellers all know me, I have them verify the bills.

rpg25

Dec 9, 2012
Earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're selling, I believe the minimum APMEX will buy is $1000 worth of metals. Not sure about selling with provident. Also part of /r/silverbugs over on reddit... Check it out. There is constant back and forth over what online vendor is the best and shipping delays. APMEX actually posts to the site. Never heard of them giving out bars to cover delays in shipping though. I'll have to ask there.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The first thing I'll say is the amount of silver and/or gold involved in the transaction helps determine which avenue a person will go. If you have a few hundred worth of silver, selling to an online coin store probably isn't your best bet. But from my perspective, CL isn't even an option if your talking about a few thousand.

You probably consider it safer and easier to sell on CL. You also may not value your time the way I value my time. My CL experience is horrible. I've wasted hours and days of my time. People agreeing to meet you somewhere and never show up. Answering ridiculous emails from people that have no intention of buying anything. I could go on. Also, with all the information available these days, it's not hard for people to find your address if they have a little information. I don't want to advertise that I have valuables to every local who is cruising CL. (Yes, I know some of you are certain you've done everything necessary to not be tracked. I don't share your certainty.)

And last, do you really feel safe selling thousands of dollars worth of coins on CL? I don't particularly like the idea of meeting a random person (or number of people) who know that I will have several thousand dollars in silver on my person. I don't care where we meet, I'm not comfortable. You may have 50 transactions that go smoothly but you could be one bad experience away from a total financial lose or worse. I'll pass.

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
Last time I sold on CL I insisted on in a bank, at the table where you fill out deposit slips. I took the payment straight to a teller for deposit.

I have sold on eBay also but the fees hurt. It is going to sell within a one day auction if it is started near spot. Then you have to deal with buyers and shipping. Get insurance too.

I prefer Provident and Ampex. Only downfall is the $1000 minimums. Guaranteed prices, safe transactions, even paying over spot for 90% junk. I call both and whoever pays more, that's who has my business. I can even take payment in half gold and half check payout.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions