Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once upon a time ago, almost in another life (1995) I read in the paper the mint had double struck the 1995 Philadelphia pennies. Well! I just had to have one. At that time I had no money and absolutely no chance of buying one. I went to a local bank and bought a box of pennies. All were uncirculated 1995's from Philly. I got 40 of the double dies. Being poor at the time I sold most for between $28 and $40 each. I still have a few. Just thought I'd share. It can happen. Found a walking liberty half a '67 Kennedy and a 54 Franklin today in just a few rolls.

Upvote 0

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best thread ever haha, very cool story.

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome! I would love to get a bag of '55 cents the day the '55 Dbl Dies came off the press.

My dad told me a story where this happened to a dealer he met at a coin show. A little old lady came up to this dealer to sell some original unwrapped bankrolls of unc. wheaties, one of which being a roll of 1955's. She asked very little for them, far less than they were worth. The dealer tried to offer her what they were worth, but she refused these offers and insisted on what she wanted for them. So the transaction was completed and she happily left. The dealer immediately opened the 1955 roll and found 7 BU 1955 doulble dies in the roll, with a value of at least $2000 each. He immediately tried hunting down this lady to compensate her properly, but to no avail. I was rather astonished when I heard this story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread