Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once upon a time ago, almost in another life (1995) I read in the paper the mint had double struck the 1995 Philadelphia pennies. Well! I just had to have one. At that time I had no money and absolutely no chance of buying one. I went to a local bank and bought a box of pennies. All were uncirculated 1995's from Philly. I got 40 of the double dies. Being poor at the time I sold most for between $28 and $40 each. I still have a few. Just thought I'd share. It can happen. Found a walking liberty half a '67 Kennedy and a 54 Franklin today in just a few rolls.

Upvote 0

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome! I would love to get a bag of '55 cents the day the '55 Dbl Dies came off the press.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm talkin' about it too.

harpda

Nov 24, 2012
Asia
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That sounds awesome. I worked a register at a restaurant for several years. Wasn't really into looking for coins but I do remember I once found 2 whole rolls of nothing but silver dimes once; and another time I found a 1903 Indian Head Penny in a roll of pennies. I'm sure there were a lot more silvers that I just didn't notice. I only noticed the silvers because when i broke the rolls I just noticed something different about them.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also talking about that.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have made the affirmative decision to begin a dialogue concerning this topic.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Once upon a time ago, almost in another life (1995) I read in the paper the mint had double struck the 1995 Philadelphia pennies. Well! I just had to have one. At that time I had no money and absolutely no chance of buying one. I went to a local bank and bought a box of pennies. All were uncirculated 1995's from Philly. I got 40 of the double dies. Being poor at the time I sold most for between $28 and $40 each. I still have a few. Just thought I'd share. It can happen. Found a walking liberty half a '67 Kennedy and a 54 Franklin today in just a few rolls.

Cool story smokey!

:)

- DS

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you show a close-up pic? I also cents, hope I haven't overlooked one.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whose the guy in the funny hat? I ain't talkin about that.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't collecting back then or I would have looked for them also. Nice story!
Now a few things. They weren't double struck, the die was created with doubling. They are called "doubled " not double dies. Last but not least, they are cents not pennies.
HH
enamel7

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread