Machine Finds Thread (add your own!)

Cerulean

Dec 1, 2006
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is for coins you find in, on, under, or around coin handling machines such as CoinStar, Coinmaster, auto-sorting machines in banks, payphones, and vending machines. Please add your story!)

At the supermarket again. Habitually stopped by the Coinstar machine, and stooped to pick up a dime on the floor. That's when I noticed that the reject tray was full of dimes. Visions of silver dimes filled my head! I looked around to see if someone had just walked away from the machine, but there was no sign that anyone had been using it in the last few minutes, so I scooped away.

Well, no silver, just:
20 dimes (1970-2002)
4 nickels (1984-1996)
1 Canadian dime (1982)
----------------------------
US$2.20 + CAN$0.10

The first Canadian non-penny I've seen in the wild in years. Meh, $2.20 for free... I can't complain. I hope no one else is complaining that their dimes disappeared.

EDIT: As your responses so quickly pointed out, that "10" should have been a "20". I blame the error on that bugged Canuck dime planting subliminal messages in my head.

Upvote 0

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually always find some beat up cladtastic coins, Canadians and tokens in the reject tray but today was special - I found a 1940 merc sitting in the dump tray of the Coinstar machine...unbelievably happy with this find!!! :icon_thumleft:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

festiva_ford

Oct 22, 2010
$ilver$urfer said:
I usually always find some beat up cladtastic coins, Canadians and tokens in the reject tray but today was special - I found a 1940 merc sitting in the dump tray of the Coinstar machine...unbelievably happy with this find!!! :icon_thumleft:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:
Great find!!! I love the mercs! ;D

iceman0xh

Dec 22, 2009
Yesturday I got a burned 68 half, a 46 dime, a 56D quarter and a Rhode Island proof quarter.....good day :)

Silverhawk

Oct 6, 2006
Seattle, WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett THD Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to the local supermarket and walked by the coinstar. There was a nice and shiny 1964 rosie! I was super excited to find some silver, as I have only found 4 40% out of the last 3-4 boxes these past two weeks.

festiva_ford

Oct 22, 2010
Stoped by a coin counting machine at my local grocery store and found a variety of coins. On top I found 2 Philipino 1 piso coins (one a steel 2004 and the other a 2002), and a Mexican 2004 2 pesos coin. I was about to walk away, then I saw a couple more under the machine, so I thought "what the heck, I don't mind getting my hands a little dirty" that got me a 1997 10 cent Hong Kong coin, a 2009 10 sentimo Philipino coin, a put put golf token(not picture due to losing it in my car), and a zincoln lincoln.

Attachments

• IMG_0200[1].JPG
    IMG_0200[1].JPG
    94 KB · Views: 928
  • IMG_0201[1].JPG
    IMG_0201[1].JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 918

cuttybce

Feb 16, 2010
Western PA
Coinstars are like silver slot machines - so far this year I have found 15 silver Roosevelts and 1 silver Washington.

Today I found a 1974 Vatican City 50 lire coin. First time I've ever seen one of those.

HH,
cuttybce

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
We all know the assorted "stuff" we find in the coin counter reject tray. Some of us even have access to the reject bucket on the inside of the machine; and that is where I tend to find the strangest items.

Today, while they're changing the bags at one of my regular banks (and I'm allowed to check and empty out the inside reject bucket) I not only find a couple of non-keeper Ikes, but I also retrieve an intact full roll of nickels. ??? How a roll of nickels went through the machine I'll never know, but there it was. No keepers in the roll, but it's still found money. 8)

OP
OP
Cerulean

Cerulean

Dec 1, 2006
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thursday: On the floor in front of the CoinStar machine at my local supermarket, I found a 2007 5 eurocent from Italy.

Saturday: In the reject tray of the coins only lane of the toll booth on I-267, I found a handful of nickels, dimes, and quarters, including a 1962 dime!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't found anything significant except a 1964 quarter a few years back in the reject slot of a vending machine. In the coin counter reject slot, I found 2 british large pennies (one from 1913 and the other from 1966), a bermuda and barbados 10c coins and a 1 EURO coin (NOT eurocent)... Pretty cool coin. Also plenty of corroded pennies sliced in half and what not :laughing7:

:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Cerulean

Cerulean

Dec 1, 2006
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the coin sorting robot at my dump bank, I found a 2002 Austrian 1 eurocent and a fragment of a Washington quarter.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
just 1 lil ole coin in the coinstar reject slot -- but it was a 1964 D dime - 90% silver --$2.96 at current silver value :icon_thumright:

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fiatboy said:
I found a 1968 penny underneath the Coinstar at Kroger's last night. Wahooooo!!! The rarest penny of them all! hahaha.

I have ton's of them. How can they be rare???????????????????????????????

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
imma start posting my machine finds...i love this thread, and its not been very popular as of late.
todays finds:
under machine:
1 US quarter
1 US copper cent
reject tray:
1 "Cinemark" game token

iceman0xh

Dec 22, 2009
A lil update on my recent finds, I work at a super market so I get to check the machine often plus we put our change for the store through the machine and clean it if needed. Recently while cleaning it I found a common date Morgan silver dollar, today we did our change and I got 2 silver dimes, a silver quarter, and a 1917 type 1 standing liberty quarter :). I then decided to clean it before I took my days off and for another silver dime in the dirt tray.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
todays finds from my banks counter...

Reject Tray Finds:

1 x 2006 RCM Canadian Quarter
1 x 1984 Costa Rica "2 Colones"

Inside Machine (Teller cleaned off the counting wheel, and gave it all to me ;D ):

1 x 2004 Australian "2 Dollar" coin
1 x Heart shaped ring (Not PM, just a kids ring)
1 x Complete, and surprisingly NOT mutilated folded up $5$ bill!!! instant profit of $5$!!! yeah!

keep it up and hh!

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
todays machine finds (found very few coins, but they were spread out in MANY different places! :dontknow: ):

under/around my banks coin counter:
1 x clad US dime (1999-D)
1 x zincoln (2000-D)

on top bank coin counter:
1 x zincoln (2006-D)

in trash can next to bank coin counter:
1 x zincoln (2000-D)

off magnet in bank coin counter:
1 x 1991 "1 TAMBALA" coin

in perforated tray on "CoinStar" brand coin counter at walmart:
1 x clad US dime (1966~)

keep it up and hh!