Machine Finds Thread (add your own!)

Cerulean

Dec 1, 2006
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is for coins you find in, on, under, or around coin handling machines such as CoinStar, Coinmaster, auto-sorting machines in banks, payphones, and vending machines. Please add your story!)

At the supermarket again. Habitually stopped by the Coinstar machine, and stooped to pick up a dime on the floor. That's when I noticed that the reject tray was full of dimes. Visions of silver dimes filled my head! I looked around to see if someone had just walked away from the machine, but there was no sign that anyone had been using it in the last few minutes, so I scooped away.

Well, no silver, just:
20 dimes (1970-2002)
4 nickels (1984-1996)
1 Canadian dime (1982)
----------------------------
US$2.20 + CAN$0.10

The first Canadian non-penny I've seen in the wild in years. Meh, $2.20 for free... I can't complain. I hope no one else is complaining that their dimes disappeared.

EDIT: As your responses so quickly pointed out, that "10" should have been a "20". I blame the error on that bugged Canuck dime planting subliminal messages in my head.

Upvote 0

silvershark

Feb 1, 2007
Illinois
Re: Coinstar tray was loaded >> 2/20/2007

haha, not bad. Cant beat a 100% profit.

I have to say, your talley is quite intimidating.

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007

>:( hey! gimme my dimes back! ....just kidding.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How much are dimes worth where you are? Because here they are 10 cents.... Looks like you found $1.20 plus the Canadian dime.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

bscofield6 said:
How much are dimes worth where you are? Because here they are 10 cents.... Looks like you found $1.20 plus the Canadian dime.

I noticed the same thing. Must be the lightheadedness that often accompanies upward surges in the price of silver.

:D :D

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thurmownator said:
bscofield6 said:

I noticed the same thing. Must be the lightheadedness that often accompanies upward surges in the price of silver.

:D :D

Haha, could be. My guess is that they meant to type 20 dimes instead of 10. :)

OP
OP
Cerulean

Cerulean

Dec 1, 2006
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Cerulean's CoinStar Finds Thread

Another productive day at the CoinStar mine...

6 pennies (1935, 1982, 1987, 1989, 2004, 2005)
1 nickel (2006)
3 dimes (1989, 1996, 2005)
---------------------------------
$0.41

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon

whats the deal with these coinstart machines? where do you find them and where are the reject trays? and why would people leave them there!?

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST

Around here they're in just about every super market. The reject tray is obvious; a big gaping cavity on the front. Why do people leave stuff there. Well who knows. Lazy, didn't hear them drop, didn't care, forgot. If i'm at the store and see someone using the machines, I'll lurk until they finish and leave then I'll check. If they have a kid with them forget it. Their head is right at the rejects and they see them drop. Will scoop them out every time.

tw656

Jan 13, 2007

Little kids check the reject tray all the time. If their mom is in line, a lot of time they bee line for the coinstar to check the tray. Ive seen it happen many times. The best Ive found is a mercury dime. Yet, I lost it when I moved. Oh well, maybe itll show up.

OP
OP
Cerulean

Cerulean

Dec 1, 2006
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

From the CoinMaster reject tray...

1 Canadian penny (1977)

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

bigtime400 said:
whats the deal with these coinstart machines? where do you find them and where are the reject trays? and why would people leave them there!?

When I lived in Florida they were always at the Kash and Karry stores, and there was always stuff in the reject trays. This was long before I joined here, and I wish I would have kept track of all of my finds from them. I did find a sweet Mercury dime in one just before we moved. I was in one of those stores about 2-3 times per week, which was in a distressed area and the machine would get used quite a bit.
I worked in the apartment bizness, and we would find a lot of change in the apartments when people would skip out in a hurry. We'd save it up, and once every week or two I'd go dump it and it would pay to buy lunch for my staff. We had an influx of Kuwaiti's in the 90's, and for some reason they didn't like change at all, they considered it trash. In one apartment alone, I picked up about $140.00 in change, not including pennies. Back then, silver was not going for squat, I wish I would have saved all the silver jewelry I picked up and pawned for next to nothing. :P

secondcup

May 11, 2006
Seacoast, New Hampshire

I LOVE these CoinStar stories! I regularly check the reject trays myself. So far, nothing super cool to report, but free money is free money!

Moderators: how about a forum for CoinStar or simply "found on the ground", or what I like to call..."ground-score"!

sc

OP
OP
Cerulean

Cerulean

Dec 1, 2006
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Today's reject tray treasure trove:

6 pennies (1965-2000)
1 nickel (1971)
3 dimes (1976-2005)
1 half dollar (1974)
1 Australian 5 cent (1981)
1 NAMCO arcade token
-------------------------------
US$0.91 + AU$0.05

OP
OP
Cerulean

Cerulean

Dec 1, 2006
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been a quiet few months, but I finally got another payoff:

5 pennies (1973, 1984, 1994, 1999, 2002)
2 nickels (1994, 2004 peace medal)
2 dimes (1996, 1999)
1 quarter (1995-D)
---------------------------------------------------
$0.60

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
I found a 1968 penny underneath the Coinstar at Kroger's last night. Wahooooo!!! The rarest penny of them all! hahaha.

T

TreasureTales

Is this thread only for Coinstar finds? If so, I have no stories. But if you all will indulge me a story about a coin return on a pay phone, well then I have a story to tell.

Once upon a time, when I was a starving teller for a local bank, I went to use a pay phone so I could call a rival bank and inquire about a job opening. So I go to the pay phone and scrounge around in my purse for a dime (this was a looooonnnnnggggg time ago, when a local call was just a dime). After making my call and learning that the pay was lower at the rival bank than at my current place of employment, I opened the booth door (phone booths had doors in those days) and turned to walk back to work because my lunch break was about over. As I turned away, something or someone told me to check the coin return (something I used to always do as a young girl). Maybe it was a childhood habit that caused me to check the tray, or maybe it was my guardian angel, or greed -- but I did and was rewarded. There, much to my pleasant surprise, was an entire coin return tray filled with coins. I can only guess that somebody attempted to make a long distance call, got no response on the other end, and left before hearing the sweet jingle of coins dropping into the tray. His/her loss was my gain. If memory serves, I got over $2.00 that day from the coin return. In those days, 2 dollars would buy a couple gallons of gas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread