Do you search every coin or just edge search?

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the clear plastic wrappers I always opened them because of glare and such- I still only rim searched them though

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
M

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
Probably going to do the same, plus never can tell if something is hidden in there. Just looked thru them all in wrappers and singled out the ones that looked appealing. Turned up nothing so far. Hopefully not a skunk box but I wouldn't be surprised. It's the gamble we take.
In the clear plastic wrappers I always opened them because of glare and such- I still only rim searched them though

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to do dimes, now i only do halfs. When I was doing dimes, I only rim checked and then dumped. Left them in the wrappers and all haha. I know better now :p

OP
OP
M

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
I used to do dimes, now i only do halfs. When I was doing dimes, I only rim checked and then dumped. Left them in the wrappers and all haha. I know better now :p

Yeah I'm seeing some dirty looking edges, but just newer coins that are dirty. I'd kick myself if I missed something by only edge searching so going coin by coin. Plus I have the backup of stuff getting rejected in the coin machine when I dump them.

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Overall dimes have very little variety and thus I simply edge search through them. With Quarters and Halfs I always do a date check though.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With volume I only edge search. Only nickels and cents do I date check.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Dimes have a lot better variety than halves. I get a good mix of foreign, Liberty, and old Canadian silvers. Personally, when I get the boxes of clear-wrapped Brinks, (by accident) I immediately ask if I can exchange them for whatever else is available. If there is no substitute, I have to take them.

I edge search 90% of the time.

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I date search nickels and cents, but I edge search dimes and halves.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to hear what 50 Cent and M&M say about this. They seem to be the gurus we often see post on CRH.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Better start kicking yourself, (ha ha), cuz the other day 2 out of my 3 rosies in a brinks box was badly " tea stained" coloring. Had I quickly rim checked I would have missed them. I date check all my dimes, catch"proofs" that way. But its up to you. I've got retirement time on my hands. Just keep stacking anyway you can.

foundinrolls

Jun 6, 2006
The reason I find hundreds of dollars worth of die varieties is because I check every coin. Especially in half rolls. Books list the 1974D DDO die variety but there are phenomenal ones for several other dates and some are worth $200 a piece if they are early die state coins.

There are also die varieties in dime rolls but they are fewer and further between.

On cents, The number of major yet missed die varieties is astounding. Everyone checks 1983, 1984 and 1972 dated coins but there are others worth thousands if you know what to look for.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
This is the way I see it. I can do 4 boxes of halfs, date checking, and looking for the extremely rare CLAD errors and DD's, but odds are I will never find one, or if I do they will be spread out, Maybe 1 a year at best. If I rim check, I can do 24+ boxes a week and get 100-400 dollars worth of AG. I'll take that Ag any day over the small chance of finding a variant. I'm sure a lot of people on here feel the same way.

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mainly search halves; I edge and sound check em. There's been a many that were missed by edge checking to be found by the sound.
HH!
BRChiver

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to hear what 50 Cent and M&M say about this. They seem to be the gurus we often see post on CRH.

it'll all depend on what you are looking for dawg. If you want errors and NIFC and clad commeratives, then look through every coin. I recommend this to anyone with under 1K of coins to search through a week

for serious coin roll hunters where volume and silver is what matters, rim only if the coin looks dirty pull it out and look at it. I says it once and I says it again time is money; if you think an hour of your time is only worth ten bucks an hour, then just look through every coin cause you don't value time whereas if'n you think your time is worth hundreds of dollars an hour, rim search.

keep the above in mind when consulting whether or not to rimsearch.

EDIT:
sound checking is dope to, but a good eye is betta than a good ear any day of any week of month of any year, ever.

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
it'll all depend on what you are looking for dawg. If you want errors and NIFC and clad commeratives, then look through every coin. I recommend this to anyone with under 1K of coins to search through a week for serious coin roll hunters where volume and silver is what matters, rim only if the coin looks dirty pull it out and look at it. I says it once and I says it again time is money; if you think an hour of your time is only worth ten bucks an hour, then just look through every coin cause you don't value time whereas if'n you think your time is worth hundreds of dollars an hour, rim search. keep the above in mind when consulting whether or not to rimsearch. EDIT: sound checking is dope to, but a good eye is betta than a good ear any day of any week of month of any year, ever.
homie I lick every single coin. I distinctly tell the different in taste. 40 percentas are more bitta than normal clad. 90 percentas taste like chocolate. Mmmm that beautiful taste of AG

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...sound checking is dope to, but a good eye is betta than a good ear any day of any week of month of any year, ever.

BS. A blind person can easily search for silver (other than nickels) just as effectively as someone with 20/10 vision. In fact, the sound test is more accurate than the ol' eyeball-the-rim-only method.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
BS. A blind person can easily search for silver (other than nickels) just as effectively as someone with 20/10 vision. In fact, the sound test is more accurate than the ol' eyeball-the-rim-only method.

I'm sorry I don't agree. Sure they both work, but using my eyes ill be able to check them 4x as fast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread