Best Loupe

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a nice all steel chromed one on ebay for under $10.00 shipped. Its good enough for me to read the dates on coins which is saying a lot.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got mine off of eBay as well. I don't need a super high quality one. It magnifies, I look into it. I don't need an LED or multiple magnifications.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FYI 10X is the standard loupe used for examining coins. As mentioned above multiple sources are available including ebay, your local coin shop, even Books A Million has a nice selection.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check this article out:

How to choose a loupe or magnifier... and where to buy

A 10x loupe is what you want.

First of all, not all loupes are good.

Inexpensive, loupes can be had for as little as US $3 to $5, especially if you buy multiple units. Some of these are essentially junk, while others are pretty good. It's luck of the draw- but low quality predominates. The majority are unmarked, so it's difficult to tell a good one from a piece of junk without actually peering through the lens

Belomo- 10x; 21 mm lens; marked "Made in Belarus"; black enclosure of unusual shape; pivot has small Phillips screws.
PRICE: (about $35-$40);
QUALITY: excellent.
Lens is composed of three, joined elements. I've tested dozens of these; it appears their quality is pretty much consistent no matter how many I test. It also has a bigger field of view than the Bausch & Lomb Hastings. Even at 40 bucks, the Belomo's quality is so good that it's worth it.

I bought the Belomo after talking to my jeweler; it's the last one I'll ever need. Issue solved.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend Belomo also, not very pricy and make sure it is a Triplet which i think all of theirs are. Triplet will ensure the field of view isn't distorted or "fish-eyed" looking. May also check local jewelry stores and jewelry supply stores in the area, one of my jewelry stores gave me a 10x loupe free just for coming in and asking questions about a piece of jewelry i found at a garage sale.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread