What to search next?

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
Just getting back into it and probably going to do a box a week. I've done nickels had 3 or 4 hits in there-1 Buffalo and some war nickels, then this past week dimes. Nothing so far with the dimes. Still have 15 rolls to go thru. Thinking it's a skunk box just on the visual check. I'm basically staying low key. Using $ I have extra cause I know I can't lose anything hunting rolls. I just search them, keep the goodies and turn them in the following week, get the cash and buy something else. I really wanna find some good stuff. Should I jump into quarters or halves? Which will I have more luck on silver with?

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly with the low amount of $$$ it sounds you have I would do dimes or nickles- qtrs suck really and halves are $500 a box- unless you are doing CWR Then do what ever you can get your hands on- halves being the 1st thing to ask for

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
M

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
Oh I do have enough to get a box of quarters or halves. Just it would be one box at a time. I don't have alot of time during the week to search them so that's why I stick to one a week, plus only have that much as a bankroll to do this right now.

Honestly with the low amount of $$$ it sounds you have I would do dimes or nickles- qtrs suck really and halves are $500 a box- unless you are doing CWR Then do what ever you can get your hands on- halves being the 1st thing to ask for

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most banks have a 2 box ($1000) minimum when ordering halves. Dunno why.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I've long ask what I was going to search next after I ran out of denominations.

well

I plan on asking a bank if I could look at their coins in the vault one of these days, so if all goes well That's what I am going to search next.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just getting back into it and probably going to do a box a week. I've done nickels had 3 or 4 hits in there-1 Buffalo and some war nickels, then this past week dimes. Nothing so far with the dimes. Still have 15 rolls to go thru. Thinking it's a skunk box just on the visual check. I'm basically staying low key. Using $ I have extra cause I know I can't lose anything hunting rolls. I just search them, keep the goodies and turn them in the following week, get the cash and buy something else. I really wanna find some good stuff. Should I jump into quarters or halves? Which will I have more luck on silver with?

:coffee2: After looking at the posts on the site over the past several years. Everytime this comes up the general consenses is to do halves not quarters. People seem to find very few quarters in the quarter boxes. They seem to find more halfs in the half boxes even though they find generally find more 40%s than 90%s. But the cost of a box of halfs is $500 while quarters are $250. I do halfs (1 box at a time) & the banks I order from get me 1 box a week. I do 4 boxes a week. If your bankroll allows it, I would say go for halfs. You will most likely have better luck than with quarters. You will have to make the decision what you want to do.

HH
Gary

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I search halves, dimes and quarters (quarters on occasion). It's been quite a while since I've found a 90% half dollar.

Therefore, if you are after 90%, I say dimes.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But the cost of a box of halfs is $500 while quarters are $250.

HH
Gary

Quarter boxes in my area are $500 as with the halves-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread